Explaining the competitive balance round
Twenty teams every year are eligible for the CBL. The 10 smallest markets (so this will never include the Diamondbacks because Phoenix is much bigger than most MLB cities) and the 10 lowest revenue clubs (this will almost always include the Diamondbacks because of the poor fan support) are entered into a lottery to win 12 picks. The first six picks are Round A and the second six are Round B. In the NFL they're called "sandwich picks" because they're between rounds. In MLB, Round A is right after the second round of the regular June draft (officially called the Rule IV draft) and Round B is right after the third round. In the 2013 lottery for the 2014 draft, San Diego won the first pick of Round B and the Diamondbacks have the second pick right after them.
Now the Diamondbacks have the Padres' pick, giving them four of the first 70 picks.
Doug Franz, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.