Updated Jul 31, 2013 - 5:56 pm
ESPN analyst Tim Kurkjian 'Thatcher can get outs down the stretch'
Kennedy struggled to a 3-8 record with a 5.23 ERA as the team has gone 2-10 in the right-hander's last 12 starts.
In return, the D-backs got a consistent left-handed specialist and a potential future closer from the Padres.
ESPN analyst Tim Kurkjian was on Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo show discussing the Snakes' haul in the trade.
"They had to find someone for that bullpen and Thatcher gives them a left-hander to gets outs down the stretch," Kurkjian said.
Thatcher has a 2.50 ERA through his career in the second half.
This season, he has posted a 2.10 ERA in 50 games, striking out 29.
Most importantly, he has given up no runs in four games against the Los Angeles Dodgers this season, a team the D-backs trail by 3.5 games going into play on Wednesday.
The prospect acquired was Matt Stites, who has a 1.53 ERA in 144 appearances in the Padres' farm system since being drafted in 2011.
"The reliever they got, Matt Stites, throws really hard and could be a possibility," Kurkjian stated.
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest outing
- Wood homers, allows 1 run in Cubs' win
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.