Updated Jul 31, 2013 - 5:56 pm
ESPN analyst Tim Kurkjian 'Thatcher can get outs down the stretch'
Kennedy struggled to a 3-8 record with a 5.23 ERA as the team has gone 2-10 in the right-hander's last 12 starts.
In return, the D-backs got a consistent left-handed specialist and a potential future closer from the Padres.
ESPN analyst Tim Kurkjian was on Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo show discussing the Snakes' haul in the trade.
"They had to find someone for that bullpen and Thatcher gives them a left-hander to gets outs down the stretch," Kurkjian said.
Thatcher has a 2.50 ERA through his career in the second half.
This season, he has posted a 2.10 ERA in 50 games, striking out 29.
Most importantly, he has given up no runs in four games against the Los Angeles Dodgers this season, a team the D-backs trail by 3.5 games going into play on Wednesday.
The prospect acquired was Matt Stites, who has a 1.53 ERA in 144 appearances in the Padres' farm system since being drafted in 2011.
"The reliever they got, Matt Stites, throws really hard and could be a possibility," Kurkjian stated.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.