Updated Jul 31, 2013 - 5:56 pm
ESPN analyst Tim Kurkjian 'Thatcher can get outs down the stretch'
Kennedy struggled to a 3-8 record with a 5.23 ERA as the team has gone 2-10 in the right-hander's last 12 starts.
In return, the D-backs got a consistent left-handed specialist and a potential future closer from the Padres.
ESPN analyst Tim Kurkjian was on Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo show discussing the Snakes' haul in the trade.
"They had to find someone for that bullpen and Thatcher gives them a left-hander to gets outs down the stretch," Kurkjian said.
Thatcher has a 2.50 ERA through his career in the second half.
This season, he has posted a 2.10 ERA in 50 games, striking out 29.
Most importantly, he has given up no runs in four games against the Los Angeles Dodgers this season, a team the D-backs trail by 3.5 games going into play on Wednesday.
The prospect acquired was Matt Stites, who has a 1.53 ERA in 144 appearances in the Padres' farm system since being drafted in 2011.
"The reliever they got, Matt Stites, throws really hard and could be a possibility," Kurkjian stated.
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.