Updated Jul 31, 2013 - 3:51 pm
Getting to know new Arizona Diamondbacks prospect Matt Stites
D-backs fans know about Thatcher -- he's pitched in 40 games against Arizona during his seven-year career.
But what about this Stites kid?
The 23-year-old pitched at the University of Missouri and was a 17th round pick of the Padres in 2011. Since then, he's thrived in San Diego's minor league system, going 8-2 with a 1.53 ERA in 114 relief appearances.
D-backs GM Kevin Towers likes pitchers who throw strikes, and Stites fits the bill. While pitching at Single-A Fort Wayne in 2012, Stites walked only three of the 175 batters he faced in 42 games. This season, at Double-A San Antonio, he had walked only eight batters in 52.0 innings as the Missions' closer.
Baseball America's Matt Eddy has great things to say about Stites.
Stites has as much upside as just about any relief prospect in the high minors, and he's a fast-riser who pitched in the Arizona Fall League last year and jumped to Double-A this year.
As far as his scouting report, Eddy offers this on the newest D-backs minor leaguer.
Stites generates double-plus velocity (94-98 mph) from an undersized, 5-foot-11 frame, working both sides of the plate with late life. He doubles up his fastball with an outstanding high-80s curveball that features late biting action. Stites led the Texas League with 14 saves at the time of the trade, and he ranked among the top TL relievers with a .194 opponent average, unintentional walk rate of 1.2 per nine innings and 0.87 WHIP.
Here's what some others are saying about Stites:
Towers said minor league reliever Matt Stites was compared to Craig Kimbrel by Dbacks scout Bill Gayton.— Nick Piecoro (@nickpiecoro) July 31, 2013
Good reports on Stites, who went to Dbacks in Kennedy deal. Couple of scouts raving about his arm. And 51 Ks, 8 bbs at Double A this summer— Scott Miller (@ScottMCBS) July 31, 2013
Matt Stites is one of my favorite relief prospects. Plus fastball & slider, lots of strikes, doesn't get hit. Nice get for #Diamondbacks.— Jim Callis (@jimcallisBA) July 31, 2013
Stites is a big time bullpen prospect could very well be Diamondbacks closer next season, he's that good....— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) July 31, 2013
It's also worth noting that Stites underwent emergency appendectomy surgery this week that will end his 2013 season.
Matt Stites' Career Stats
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.