Arizona Diamondbacks never had interest in Jake Peavy
Peavy is a good pitcher, but he's not great and he has been injury-prone. He is now six years removed from that Cy Young season in San Diego. He he can help the Red Sox in their battle with Tampa Bay and is good insurance in case Clay Buchholz can't return, but Boston paid a steep price to get him.
The reality is starting pitching is not what Arizona is aiming for, not with Patrick Corbin, Wade Miley and Randall Delgado all pitching well, Brandon McCarthy and Trevor Cahill returning from rehab assignments plus Archie Bradley, David Holmberg and Tyler Skaggs all solid prospects in the minors.
Notice I didn't mention Ian Kennedy and that's because the D-backs' Opening Day starter is definitely available and the price tag isn't too high. A quality lefty reliever and some prospect value can get a deal done. With two years of control left, Kennedy is attractive to San Diego and the Angels.
Everyone would like to see Arizona make a move and try to go toe-to-toe with the Dodgers. But the smart play is not overpaying for a player like Peavy and being handcuffed financially because of his salary.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.