Arizona Diamondbacks never had interest in Jake Peavy
Peavy is a good pitcher, but he's not great and he has been injury-prone. He is now six years removed from that Cy Young season in San Diego. He he can help the Red Sox in their battle with Tampa Bay and is good insurance in case Clay Buchholz can't return, but Boston paid a steep price to get him.
The reality is starting pitching is not what Arizona is aiming for, not with Patrick Corbin, Wade Miley and Randall Delgado all pitching well, Brandon McCarthy and Trevor Cahill returning from rehab assignments plus Archie Bradley, David Holmberg and Tyler Skaggs all solid prospects in the minors.
Notice I didn't mention Ian Kennedy and that's because the D-backs' Opening Day starter is definitely available and the price tag isn't too high. A quality lefty reliever and some prospect value can get a deal done. With two years of control left, Kennedy is attractive to San Diego and the Angels.
Everyone would like to see Arizona make a move and try to go toe-to-toe with the Dodgers. But the smart play is not overpaying for a player like Peavy and being handcuffed financially because of his salary.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- ESPN analyst Kurkjian: Arizona Diamondbacks 'not doing anything right'
- D-backs' Derrick Hall: Losses mounting because players are pressing
- D-backs prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest start
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.