Arizona Diamondbacks never had interest in Jake Peavy
Peavy is a good pitcher, but he's not great and he has been injury-prone. He is now six years removed from that Cy Young season in San Diego. He he can help the Red Sox in their battle with Tampa Bay and is good insurance in case Clay Buchholz can't return, but Boston paid a steep price to get him.
The reality is starting pitching is not what Arizona is aiming for, not with Patrick Corbin, Wade Miley and Randall Delgado all pitching well, Brandon McCarthy and Trevor Cahill returning from rehab assignments plus Archie Bradley, David Holmberg and Tyler Skaggs all solid prospects in the minors.
Notice I didn't mention Ian Kennedy and that's because the D-backs' Opening Day starter is definitely available and the price tag isn't too high. A quality lefty reliever and some prospect value can get a deal done. With two years of control left, Kennedy is attractive to San Diego and the Angels.
Everyone would like to see Arizona make a move and try to go toe-to-toe with the Dodgers. But the smart play is not overpaying for a player like Peavy and being handcuffed financially because of his salary.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.