Arizona Diamondbacks never had interest in Jake Peavy
Peavy is a good pitcher, but he's not great and he has been injury-prone. He is now six years removed from that Cy Young season in San Diego. He he can help the Red Sox in their battle with Tampa Bay and is good insurance in case Clay Buchholz can't return, but Boston paid a steep price to get him.
The reality is starting pitching is not what Arizona is aiming for, not with Patrick Corbin, Wade Miley and Randall Delgado all pitching well, Brandon McCarthy and Trevor Cahill returning from rehab assignments plus Archie Bradley, David Holmberg and Tyler Skaggs all solid prospects in the minors.
Notice I didn't mention Ian Kennedy and that's because the D-backs' Opening Day starter is definitely available and the price tag isn't too high. A quality lefty reliever and some prospect value can get a deal done. With two years of control left, Kennedy is attractive to San Diego and the Angels.
Everyone would like to see Arizona make a move and try to go toe-to-toe with the Dodgers. But the smart play is not overpaying for a player like Peavy and being handcuffed financially because of his salary.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.