Miley, Chavez lead Diamondbacks over Rays
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) - Wade Miley pitched two-hit ball into the seventh inning and Eric Chavez drove in three runs Wednesday night, leading the Arizona Diamondbacks to a 7-0 victory over the Tampa Bay Rays.
Paul Goldschmidt hit his 24th homer, scored three runs and reached base four times. Cody Ross had three straight hits and drove in two runs as Arizona broke a three-game losing streak.
Arizona outhit the Rays 14-3. Ben Zobrist got two hits for the Tampa Bay, which despite the loss finished its best month ever at 21-5.
Miley (8-8) won for the fourth time in five starts. He struck out eight in 6 1-3 innings and walked five.
Miley has made 11 straight starts of giving up three earned runs or fewer.
Jeremy Hellickson (10-4) gave up four runs and seven hits in 4 1-3 innings, the shortest Rays start since Alex Colome also went 4 1-3 innings on June 22.
Chavez homered for the second straight day, a two-run shot that gave the Diamondbacks a 4-0 lead in the second.
Hits by Martin Prado, Aaron Hill and Ross had produced two runs in the first.
Arizona added single runs in the seventh, eighth and ninth against three different relievers.
NOTES: LHP Joe Thatcher, acquired by Arizona earlier in the day in a trade that sent pitcher Ian Kennedy to San Diego, will join the Diamondbacks in Texas on Thursday. ... Arizona RHP Zeke Spruill will get his first major league start Thursday against the Rangers. ... With LHP Matt Moore moving to the 15-day disabled list, the Rays will start Chris Archer, David Price and Roberto Hernandez in their weekend series at home against the San Francisco Giants.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.