Miley, Chavez lead Diamondbacks over Rays
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) - Wade Miley pitched two-hit ball into the seventh inning and Eric Chavez drove in three runs Wednesday night, leading the Arizona Diamondbacks to a 7-0 victory over the Tampa Bay Rays.
Paul Goldschmidt hit his 24th homer, scored three runs and reached base four times. Cody Ross had three straight hits and drove in two runs as Arizona broke a three-game losing streak.
Arizona outhit the Rays 14-3. Ben Zobrist got two hits for the Tampa Bay, which despite the loss finished its best month ever at 21-5.
Miley (8-8) won for the fourth time in five starts. He struck out eight in 6 1-3 innings and walked five.
Miley has made 11 straight starts of giving up three earned runs or fewer.
Jeremy Hellickson (10-4) gave up four runs and seven hits in 4 1-3 innings, the shortest Rays start since Alex Colome also went 4 1-3 innings on June 22.
Chavez homered for the second straight day, a two-run shot that gave the Diamondbacks a 4-0 lead in the second.
Hits by Martin Prado, Aaron Hill and Ross had produced two runs in the first.
Arizona added single runs in the seventh, eighth and ninth against three different relievers.
NOTES: LHP Joe Thatcher, acquired by Arizona earlier in the day in a trade that sent pitcher Ian Kennedy to San Diego, will join the Diamondbacks in Texas on Thursday. ... Arizona RHP Zeke Spruill will get his first major league start Thursday against the Rangers. ... With LHP Matt Moore moving to the 15-day disabled list, the Rays will start Chris Archer, David Price and Roberto Hernandez in their weekend series at home against the San Francisco Giants.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.