D-backs manager: 'We're not talking about taking' Randall Delgado out of the rotation
In eight starts, the 24-year-old right-hander has gone 3-3 with six quality outings and a 2.85 ERA.
Outside of Patrick Corbin, Delgado has largely been the D-backs' most consistent starting pitcher over the last six weeks and his manager has certainly noticed.
"He's throwing the ball great," Kirk Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "He's got a good arm angle going, throws the ball to both sides of the plate, can throw his fastball and changeup out of both of those slots, and his breaking ball is starting to come. He's athletic, he holds runners and he's handling the bat."
While injured starters Brandon McCarthy and Trevor Cahill are expected to return from the disabled list in the coming days and weeks, Delgado -- who was acquired in the trade that sent Justin Upton to the Atlanta Braves back in January -- isn't going anywhere.
"He's in the rotation for now," said Gibson. "We're not even talking about taking him out."
So much for being a temporary fix.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.