D-backs manager: 'We're not talking about taking' Randall Delgado out of the rotation
In eight starts, the 24-year-old right-hander has gone 3-3 with six quality outings and a 2.85 ERA.
Outside of Patrick Corbin, Delgado has largely been the D-backs' most consistent starting pitcher over the last six weeks and his manager has certainly noticed.
"He's throwing the ball great," Kirk Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "He's got a good arm angle going, throws the ball to both sides of the plate, can throw his fastball and changeup out of both of those slots, and his breaking ball is starting to come. He's athletic, he holds runners and he's handling the bat."
While injured starters Brandon McCarthy and Trevor Cahill are expected to return from the disabled list in the coming days and weeks, Delgado -- who was acquired in the trade that sent Justin Upton to the Atlanta Braves back in January -- isn't going anywhere.
"He's in the rotation for now," said Gibson. "We're not even talking about taking him out."
So much for being a temporary fix.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Reserve outfielder Tony Campana supplies spark during D-backs' sluggish start
- Hill, Diamondbacks top Dodgers in extra innings
- Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
- D-backs break winless streak, beat Dodgers in extras: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross goes hitless in season debut
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.