D-backs manager: 'We're not talking about taking' Randall Delgado out of the rotation
In eight starts, the 24-year-old right-hander has gone 3-3 with six quality outings and a 2.85 ERA.
Outside of Patrick Corbin, Delgado has largely been the D-backs' most consistent starting pitcher over the last six weeks and his manager has certainly noticed.
"He's throwing the ball great," Kirk Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "He's got a good arm angle going, throws the ball to both sides of the plate, can throw his fastball and changeup out of both of those slots, and his breaking ball is starting to come. He's athletic, he holds runners and he's handling the bat."
While injured starters Brandon McCarthy and Trevor Cahill are expected to return from the disabled list in the coming days and weeks, Delgado -- who was acquired in the trade that sent Justin Upton to the Atlanta Braves back in January -- isn't going anywhere.
"He's in the rotation for now," said Gibson. "We're not even talking about taking him out."
So much for being a temporary fix.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs go 3-4 on road trip, prepare for homestand vs. Phillies, Rockies
- D-backs' Mike Bolsinger shines in series finale at Wrigley: By The Numbers
- Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
- D-backs place outfielder Mark Trumbo on 15-day D.L.
- Diamondbacks' Mark Trumbo out indefinitely with stress fracture in foot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.