Updated Jul 30, 2013 - 3:15 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson: Jake Peavy rumors not accurate
However, a source who has been in the D-backs' makeshift war room the past few days in Tampa seems to believe a trade for Peavy won't be in the cards for Arizona.
That source happens to be D-backs manager Kirk Gibson.
"I haven't heard anything about that actually," Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo Tuesday in regards to a potential trade for Peavy. "I was just informed [by the media] that we were the frontrunner, but I walked out of the room at noon, and I hadn't heard his name in two days."
While Peavy, who is 8-4 with a 4.28 ERA in 13 starts this season, has a history with general manager Kevin Towers, Gibson noted that the D-backs don't necessary need to make a move for a starter because they have plenty of rotation options to get them through the rest of the 2013 season.
"We've got [Brandon] McCarthy coming back," said Gibson. "We also have [Trevor] Cahill coming back. [Tyler] Skaggs is a work in progress, and he'll learned more. He'll go down and work on some things, so we have some depth.
"[David] Holmberg has thrown the ball well in the Double-A. Archie Bradley has thrown the ball good. I'm not sure those rumors are as accurate as we think we are."
Whether that's coach speak or not remains to be seen, but as of now, Jake Peavy will not be penciled into the D-backs' rotation.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.