Updated Jul 30, 2013 - 3:15 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson: Jake Peavy rumors not accurate
However, a source who has been in the D-backs' makeshift war room the past few days in Tampa seems to believe a trade for Peavy won't be in the cards for Arizona.
That source happens to be D-backs manager Kirk Gibson.
"I haven't heard anything about that actually," Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo Tuesday in regards to a potential trade for Peavy. "I was just informed [by the media] that we were the frontrunner, but I walked out of the room at noon, and I hadn't heard his name in two days."
While Peavy, who is 8-4 with a 4.28 ERA in 13 starts this season, has a history with general manager Kevin Towers, Gibson noted that the D-backs don't necessary need to make a move for a starter because they have plenty of rotation options to get them through the rest of the 2013 season.
"We've got [Brandon] McCarthy coming back," said Gibson. "We also have [Trevor] Cahill coming back. [Tyler] Skaggs is a work in progress, and he'll learned more. He'll go down and work on some things, so we have some depth.
"[David] Holmberg has thrown the ball well in the Double-A. Archie Bradley has thrown the ball good. I'm not sure those rumors are as accurate as we think we are."
Whether that's coach speak or not remains to be seen, but as of now, Jake Peavy will not be penciled into the D-backs' rotation.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.