Report: Arizona Diamondbacks, Chicago White Sox talking Jake Peavy
According to MLB.com's Steve Gilbert, the D-backs are in talks with the White Sox about the veteran right-hander.
The right-hander has a history with Arizona general manager Kevin Towers. Peavy pitched for Towers for eight seasons when Towers was the GM of the Padres.
It was Towers who traded Peavy to the White Sox at the trade deadline in 2009 in exchange for Dexter Carter, Aaron Poreda, Clayton Richard and Adam Russell.
Peavy is owed around $5.28 million for the rest of this season and $14.5 million next year. The contact includes a player option for 2015 if Peavy either has 400 innings pitched in 2013-14 including at least 190 in 2014 and is not on the disabled list at the conclusion of the 2014 season.
Once upon a time Peavy was one of the best pitchers in baseball, as he won the NL Cy Young award in 2007. A three-time All-Star, he has a career 128-97 record with a 3.49 ERA.
Peavy has battled injuries of late, and is 8-4 with a 4.28 ERA in just 13 starts this season. He's struck out 76 batters in 80 innings, while walking 17.
What the D-backs would have to part with to acquire the 32-year-old is uncertain, though Gilbert reports the White Sox are looking for infield help and may have interest in prospects Chris Owings and Matt Davidson.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Rookie makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.