Report: Arizona Diamondbacks, Chicago White Sox talking Jake Peavy
According to MLB.com's Steve Gilbert, the D-backs are in talks with the White Sox about the veteran right-hander.
The right-hander has a history with Arizona general manager Kevin Towers. Peavy pitched for Towers for eight seasons when Towers was the GM of the Padres.
It was Towers who traded Peavy to the White Sox at the trade deadline in 2009 in exchange for Dexter Carter, Aaron Poreda, Clayton Richard and Adam Russell.
Peavy is owed around $5.28 million for the rest of this season and $14.5 million next year. The contact includes a player option for 2015 if Peavy either has 400 innings pitched in 2013-14 including at least 190 in 2014 and is not on the disabled list at the conclusion of the 2014 season.
Once upon a time Peavy was one of the best pitchers in baseball, as he won the NL Cy Young award in 2007. A three-time All-Star, he has a career 128-97 record with a 3.49 ERA.
Peavy has battled injuries of late, and is 8-4 with a 4.28 ERA in just 13 starts this season. He's struck out 76 batters in 80 innings, while walking 17.
What the D-backs would have to part with to acquire the 32-year-old is uncertain, though Gilbert reports the White Sox are looking for infield help and may have interest in prospects Chris Owings and Matt Davidson.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.