Report: Arizona Diamondbacks, Chicago White Sox talking Jake Peavy
According to MLB.com's Steve Gilbert, the D-backs are in talks with the White Sox about the veteran right-hander.
The right-hander has a history with Arizona general manager Kevin Towers. Peavy pitched for Towers for eight seasons when Towers was the GM of the Padres.
It was Towers who traded Peavy to the White Sox at the trade deadline in 2009 in exchange for Dexter Carter, Aaron Poreda, Clayton Richard and Adam Russell.
Peavy is owed around $5.28 million for the rest of this season and $14.5 million next year. The contact includes a player option for 2015 if Peavy either has 400 innings pitched in 2013-14 including at least 190 in 2014 and is not on the disabled list at the conclusion of the 2014 season.
Once upon a time Peavy was one of the best pitchers in baseball, as he won the NL Cy Young award in 2007. A three-time All-Star, he has a career 128-97 record with a 3.49 ERA.
Peavy has battled injuries of late, and is 8-4 with a 4.28 ERA in just 13 starts this season. He's struck out 76 batters in 80 innings, while walking 17.
What the D-backs would have to part with to acquire the 32-year-old is uncertain, though Gilbert reports the White Sox are looking for infield help and may have interest in prospects Chris Owings and Matt Davidson.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first basemen - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.