Bailey takes shutout into 9th in 4-1 Reds win
SAN DIEGO (AP) - Homer Bailey came within two outs of a five-hit shutout to end his four-start losing streak and the Cincinnati Reds beat the San Diego Padres 4-1 Wednesday to snap a five-game skid.
Brandon Phillips homered and Joey Votto hit a two-run double for the Reds, who avoided a three-game sweep and ended San Diego's four-game winning streak.
Bailey had allowed just five singles going into the ninth, when Everth Cabrera reached on a fielding error by first baseman Votto leading off the inning. The right-hander got Chris Denorfia to fly out before Chase Headley doubled in Cabrera. Manager Dusty Baker pulled Bailey, and Aroldis Chapman got the final two outs for his 25th save in 29 chances.
The performance by Bailey was just what the Reds needed to end a 10-game West Coast trip on a positive note. Not only had the Reds lost five straight after winning the first four games of the trip, but Bailey hadn't won since throwing the second no-hitter of his career July 2 at home against San Francisco. Three of his four losses since then had come on the road.
Bailey (6-10) allowed six hits and one unearned run, struck out seven and walked none.
Phillips homered to center field off lefty Eric Stults (8-10) leading off the second, his 13th.
The Reds added three more runs in the seventh, all unearned because of third baseman Headley's throwing error on Derrick Robinson's grounder. The error put runners on first and third, and Chris Heisey singled to left to score Zack Cosart, aboard on a leadoff single. Votto followed with a double to right to bring in Robinson and Heisey.
Stults allowed four runs, one earned, on 10 hits in 6 2-3 innings. He struck out five and walked none.
NOTES: The Reds are off Thursday before opening an eight-game homestand with the first of three games against the NL Central rival St. Louis Cardinals. RHP Bronson Arroyo (9-8, 3.26 ERA) is scheduled to start against RHP Shelby Miller (10-7, 2.79). ... The Padres are off Thursday before welcoming the New York Yankees to Petco Park for the first time. Scheduled starters are LHP CC Sabathia (9-9, 4.65) against RHP Andrew Cashner (7-5, 3.88)....Sunday's Padres starter will be RHP Ian Kennedy, acquired from the Arizona Diamondbacks before Wednesday's deadline for lefty reliever Joe Thatcher, a minor leaguer and a 2014 draft pick.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: D-backs set sights on acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick: D-backs trying to acquire elite starting pitcher this winter
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, RHP Bell in 3-team trade
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.