D-backs minor leaguer Eric Smith suspended 50 games for drug abuse violation
Mobile BayBears (Double-A) pitcher Eric Smith was suspended 50 games without pay after a second violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.
Smith, the D-backs' second-round draft pick in 2009, was 1-3 with a 7.11 ERA in 33 appearances with the BayBears this season.
The 50-game suspension, which begins immediately, will likely end Smith's 2013 campaign, as Mobile has just 41 games left on its regular season slate.
- Diamondbacks extend relief pitcher Brad Ziegler
- D-backs pitcher Brandon McCarthy: Protective headgear will be available in 2014
- The Pulse: 'Let's wait and see' on Addison Reed-Matt Davidson trade
- D-backs bring back 3B Eric Chavez for 2014 season
- D-backs GM: Archie Bradley has chance to be 'special in a hurry'
- Luis Gonzalez, D-backs World Series Legend - Friday December 20Gonzo discusses the Trumbo trade and what it means for the D-backs.
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs Pitcher - Wednesday December 18D-backs trying to win now, Ziggy talks about what that means for the clubhouse.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?