D-backs' Bloomquist on MLB suspensions: 'The harsher the better'
PHOENIX -- Major League Baseball players are still reacting to the suspension of Ryan Braun.
The Milwaukee Brewers star and former 2011 National League MVP will miss the remainder of the season because of his ties to performance enhancing drugs.
While visiting children at Maricopa Medical Center in Phoenix on Wednesday, Arizona Diamondbacks infielder Willie Bloomquist said he agrees with the suspension.
"It's obviously disappointing what's happened," Bloomquist said. "No matter how hard we as a players union are trying to crack down and make the field an even playing field, there's still people who think they can cheat the system. It's unfair to everybody else who is doing it the right way."
There are several news reports that New York Yankees superstar Alex Rodriguez could face a lifetime suspension for his involvement.
"I don't know if all of the evidence has come out on that," Bloomquist said. "But it's definitely unfortunate when guys are trying to beat the system. The harsher punishment...the better."
Bob McClay, Reporter
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.