D-backs' Bloomquist on MLB suspensions: 'The harsher the better'
PHOENIX -- Major League Baseball players are still reacting to the suspension of Ryan Braun.
The Milwaukee Brewers star and former 2011 National League MVP will miss the remainder of the season because of his ties to performance enhancing drugs.
While visiting children at Maricopa Medical Center in Phoenix on Wednesday, Arizona Diamondbacks infielder Willie Bloomquist said he agrees with the suspension.
"It's obviously disappointing what's happened," Bloomquist said. "No matter how hard we as a players union are trying to crack down and make the field an even playing field, there's still people who think they can cheat the system. It's unfair to everybody else who is doing it the right way."
There are several news reports that New York Yankees superstar Alex Rodriguez could face a lifetime suspension for his involvement.
"I don't know if all of the evidence has come out on that," Bloomquist said. "But it's definitely unfortunate when guys are trying to beat the system. The harsher punishment...the better."
Bob McClay, Reporter
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.