D-backs' Bloomquist on MLB suspensions: 'The harsher the better'
PHOENIX -- Major League Baseball players are still reacting to the suspension of Ryan Braun.
The Milwaukee Brewers star and former 2011 National League MVP will miss the remainder of the season because of his ties to performance enhancing drugs.
While visiting children at Maricopa Medical Center in Phoenix on Wednesday, Arizona Diamondbacks infielder Willie Bloomquist said he agrees with the suspension.
"It's obviously disappointing what's happened," Bloomquist said. "No matter how hard we as a players union are trying to crack down and make the field an even playing field, there's still people who think they can cheat the system. It's unfair to everybody else who is doing it the right way."
There are several news reports that New York Yankees superstar Alex Rodriguez could face a lifetime suspension for his involvement.
"I don't know if all of the evidence has come out on that," Bloomquist said. "But it's definitely unfortunate when guys are trying to beat the system. The harsher punishment...the better."
Bob McClay, Reporter
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.