Arizona Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson on Ryan Braun: He's probably 'rehearsing his speech right now'
Braun was suspended Monday by Major League Baseball for the remainder of the 2013 season for evidence against him in the sport's investigation into Anthony Bosch and the Biogenesis clinic.
Nobody has heard a peep from Braun since the penalty was handed down and Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson thinks that needs to change.
"It's interesting we haven't heard from him, I think he does need to get in front of people and answer questions," Gibson told the media during his pregame chat Wednesday. "Something tells me he's rehearsing his speech right now, because he was pretty good at the last one."
Braun tested positive during the 2011 postseason but was not penalized after an arbitrator ruled that his urine sample was not properly handled. The former NL Most Valuable Player and Rookie of the Year delivered an empassioned speech at Maryvale Baseball Park during spring training in 2012 where he maintained his innocence in the matter.
"For me, all things aside, no matter how anyone feels, I think Braun should get in front of a microphone and address people and answer questions," Gibson said. "Honestly, we really don't know what (he did). So, I think it would be useful to get it out there and then we can kind of go from there.
"I find it interesting that he's not."
ESPN baseball writer Buster Olney suggested this week that Braun owes an apology to the Diamondbacks organization in light of his suspension. Braun hit .500 in Milwaukee's five-game victory over Arizona in the 2011 National League Division Series.
Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday that he doesn't think an apology from the disgraced slugger is necessary.
"I don't think he does," Gibson said. "We had a chance to beat them regardless of what was going on in that series."
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.