Arizona Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson on Ryan Braun: He's probably 'rehearsing his speech right now'
Braun was suspended Monday by Major League Baseball for the remainder of the 2013 season for evidence against him in the sport's investigation into Anthony Bosch and the Biogenesis clinic.
Nobody has heard a peep from Braun since the penalty was handed down and Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson thinks that needs to change.
"It's interesting we haven't heard from him, I think he does need to get in front of people and answer questions," Gibson told the media during his pregame chat Wednesday. "Something tells me he's rehearsing his speech right now, because he was pretty good at the last one."
Braun tested positive during the 2011 postseason but was not penalized after an arbitrator ruled that his urine sample was not properly handled. The former NL Most Valuable Player and Rookie of the Year delivered an empassioned speech at Maryvale Baseball Park during spring training in 2012 where he maintained his innocence in the matter.
"For me, all things aside, no matter how anyone feels, I think Braun should get in front of a microphone and address people and answer questions," Gibson said. "Honestly, we really don't know what (he did). So, I think it would be useful to get it out there and then we can kind of go from there.
"I find it interesting that he's not."
ESPN baseball writer Buster Olney suggested this week that Braun owes an apology to the Diamondbacks organization in light of his suspension. Braun hit .500 in Milwaukee's five-game victory over Arizona in the 2011 National League Division Series.
Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday that he doesn't think an apology from the disgraced slugger is necessary.
"I don't think he does," Gibson said. "We had a chance to beat them regardless of what was going on in that series."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.