Updated Jul 25, 2013 - 9:28 am
Diamondbacks GM Towers still confident team can win NL West
And to be fair, they're now only 1.5 games back of the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Still, Arizona's struggles combined with L.A.'s success has some wondering if the D-backs, as constructed, can earn a playoff spot.
D-backs general manager Kevin Towers is not one of those people.
"I think we have the right guys, I really do," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday.
Towers, who had a busy offseason remaking a team that won 81 games in 2012, believes the strength of the 2013 D-backs is its chemistry.
"We've got a lot of guys that are underperforming, and I think if you asked them they'd say they are," he said. "But what's kept us together is nobody has hung their head and given up."
In fact, Towers says the team still being in the race despite getting consistent performances from just Paul Goldschmidt and Patrick Corbin is a sign that the team has plenty more to offer.
"I think these guys will rally, they'll come around," he said. "I think that the chemistry of this club and the will not to give in and to continue to be resilient, I think guys will step up, I think they will come together at the right time and I think at the end, we're going to be there.
"I think if you look at us on paper comapred to the Dodgers right now nobody's going to give us a chance but, you know, it was pretty ugly over there two months ago."
Towers added "there is no way" the Dodgers will maintain their current pace the rest of the season, but also admits his team needs to start playing better, too.
"But I think the makeup and the chemistry of the club at the end is going to pay dividends for us."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.