Arizona Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers: Dodgers' money allows them to 'buy what they want'
Unfortunately, a D-backs slide has coincided with a Los Angeles Dodgers surge, and now the Snakes trail in the NL West for the first time in more than two months.
And with the trade deadline approaching and the Dodgers seemingly having the finances to acquire anyone they'd like, it would seem like the Diamondbacks are in a bit of a precarious position.
If the Dodgers keep spending, can the D-backs keep up?
"I think ultimately what ends up happening is if guys don't have options, you have to have places to put some of these guys that you're going to spend money on," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "There comes a point in time where even if you want to spend, where do you put it?
"You only have 25 guys that can go out there and play."
That is true, though it's worth noting the Dodgers roster is not entirely made up of All-Stars, so there is still work that can be done.
And with regards to his team, Towers said the Diamondbacks were in on the bidding for pitcher Hyun-Jin Ryu, who is 8-3 with a 3.25 ERA this year, and also had interest in Cuban phenom Yasiel Puig. The Dodgers outspent everyone for their services, and are now reaping the dividends.
"When you have that wherewithal financially it doesn't mean you're the best scouting organization, just you have the wherewithal to go out and buy what you want," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.