Arizona Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers: Dodgers' money allows them to 'buy what they want'
Unfortunately, a D-backs slide has coincided with a Los Angeles Dodgers surge, and now the Snakes trail in the NL West for the first time in more than two months.
And with the trade deadline approaching and the Dodgers seemingly having the finances to acquire anyone they'd like, it would seem like the Diamondbacks are in a bit of a precarious position.
If the Dodgers keep spending, can the D-backs keep up?
"I think ultimately what ends up happening is if guys don't have options, you have to have places to put some of these guys that you're going to spend money on," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "There comes a point in time where even if you want to spend, where do you put it?
"You only have 25 guys that can go out there and play."
That is true, though it's worth noting the Dodgers roster is not entirely made up of All-Stars, so there is still work that can be done.
And with regards to his team, Towers said the Diamondbacks were in on the bidding for pitcher Hyun-Jin Ryu, who is 8-3 with a 3.25 ERA this year, and also had interest in Cuban phenom Yasiel Puig. The Dodgers outspent everyone for their services, and are now reaping the dividends.
"When you have that wherewithal financially it doesn't mean you're the best scouting organization, just you have the wherewithal to go out and buy what you want," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Reserve outfielder Tony Campana supplies spark during D-backs' sluggish start
- Hill, Diamondbacks top Dodgers in extra innings
- Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
- D-backs break winless streak, beat Dodgers in extras: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross goes hitless in season debut
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.