Updated Jul 23, 2013 - 5:53 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks' Trevor Cahill continues to progress
Cahill is on the 15-day disabled list with a right hip contusion. He was originally injured June 19 against the Marlins on a line drive back to the mound, but was not put on the DL until July 1. Cahill tried to pitch through the injury but it was causing him to mechanically compensate in other areas while pitching.
"Threw a bullpen today, he threw very good and he's going to throw and AZL (Arizona League) game I think on Thursday," said manager Kirk Gibson during his pregame media session Tuesday. "He's gonna go probably 60-70 pitches maybe and will see where he goes from there. He may go pitch somewhere after that, so he's coming along."
While on the disabled list, Cahill also experienced some shoulder soreness, so Gibson was hesitant to set an exact timetable for his return to the big league club.
"I'm not sure. See how he goes through this one. I know in his last simulated game he maybe threw 45 pitches or so but it was 105 (degrees) out and he got tired pretty quickly," Gibson said. "We'll see how he goes this time out and go from there. He feels good, says he's feeling better and feeling stronger. His mechanics are better, kinda pain free."
Before landing on the disabled list, the 25-year-old was 3-10 in 17 starts with a 4.66 ERA. Since joining the D-backs in 2012, Cahill is 16-22 with a 4.07 ERA in 49 starts.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.