Updated Jul 23, 2013 - 5:53 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks' Trevor Cahill continues to progress
Cahill is on the 15-day disabled list with a right hip contusion. He was originally injured June 19 against the Marlins on a line drive back to the mound, but was not put on the DL until July 1. Cahill tried to pitch through the injury but it was causing him to mechanically compensate in other areas while pitching.
"Threw a bullpen today, he threw very good and he's going to throw and AZL (Arizona League) game I think on Thursday," said manager Kirk Gibson during his pregame media session Tuesday. "He's gonna go probably 60-70 pitches maybe and will see where he goes from there. He may go pitch somewhere after that, so he's coming along."
While on the disabled list, Cahill also experienced some shoulder soreness, so Gibson was hesitant to set an exact timetable for his return to the big league club.
"I'm not sure. See how he goes through this one. I know in his last simulated game he maybe threw 45 pitches or so but it was 105 (degrees) out and he got tired pretty quickly," Gibson said. "We'll see how he goes this time out and go from there. He feels good, says he's feeling better and feeling stronger. His mechanics are better, kinda pain free."
Before landing on the disabled list, the 25-year-old was 3-10 in 17 starts with a 4.66 ERA. Since joining the D-backs in 2012, Cahill is 16-22 with a 4.07 ERA in 49 starts.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.