Updated Jul 23, 2013 - 4:04 pm
Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson searching for offensive answers
Leading the now second place team, he is doing what he can to get an offense that has produced nine runs in its last five games back on track.
Does he want to add a hitter via a trade? How about give a prospect a chance?
"I don't know, you'd have to talk to K.T. about that," Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday.
"K.T." is Kevin Towers, the team's general manager, and if a deal is to be swung he will be the one leading the charge. However, Gibson said he doesn't think the roster needs to change much.
"I think we have the guys in place to have enough offense," he said, adding the team ranks near the top of baseball -- or in the upper half -- in most offensive categories.
The D-backs rank 14th in the baseball with 407 runs scored, are 15th in batting average (.254), 19th in OPS (.702) and 27th in home runs (80).
Down years from some of his outfielders has led to the skipper shuffling his lineup to try and find the right combination between Cody Ross, Jason Kubel, A.J. Pollock, Gerardo Parra and Adam Eaton. Gibson understands how it can be a challenge because it's possible each would perform better if in the lineup on a regular basis.
"I think it works against you a little bit when you're a player because they all expect and want to play every day, yet at the same time they have to be a good teammate and they want to be a good teammate," he said. "There's intriguing things that go on within our lineup and those are things we've got to figure out."
So Gibson and his coaching staff will continue to mix and match, at least until he decides the best course of action is to produce a set lineup and hope that is the panacea for the team's offensive ills.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs pitcher Brandon McCarthy: Protective headgear will be available in 2014
- The Pulse: 'Let's wait and see' on Addison Reed-Matt Davidson trade
- Report: D-backs bring back 3B Eric Chavez for 2014 season
- D-backs GM: Archie Bradley has chance to be 'special in a hurry'
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks have not signed reliever Jose Valverde to minor-league deal
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs Pitcher - Wednesday December 18D-backs trying to win now, Ziggy talks about what that means for the clubhouse.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.