Updated Jul 23, 2013 - 4:04 pm
Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson searching for offensive answers
Leading the now second place team, he is doing what he can to get an offense that has produced nine runs in its last five games back on track.
Does he want to add a hitter via a trade? How about give a prospect a chance?
"I don't know, you'd have to talk to K.T. about that," Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday.
"K.T." is Kevin Towers, the team's general manager, and if a deal is to be swung he will be the one leading the charge. However, Gibson said he doesn't think the roster needs to change much.
"I think we have the guys in place to have enough offense," he said, adding the team ranks near the top of baseball -- or in the upper half -- in most offensive categories.
The D-backs rank 14th in the baseball with 407 runs scored, are 15th in batting average (.254), 19th in OPS (.702) and 27th in home runs (80).
Down years from some of his outfielders has led to the skipper shuffling his lineup to try and find the right combination between Cody Ross, Jason Kubel, A.J. Pollock, Gerardo Parra and Adam Eaton. Gibson understands how it can be a challenge because it's possible each would perform better if in the lineup on a regular basis.
"I think it works against you a little bit when you're a player because they all expect and want to play every day, yet at the same time they have to be a good teammate and they want to be a good teammate," he said. "There's intriguing things that go on within our lineup and those are things we've got to figure out."
So Gibson and his coaching staff will continue to mix and match, at least until he decides the best course of action is to produce a set lineup and hope that is the panacea for the team's offensive ills.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.