Brandon McCarthy continues rehab stint in Reno
The pitcher that's closest to returning is Brandon McCarthy. He went on the disabled list on June 1st, retroactive to May 31st with right shoulder inflammation, an issue that's plagued him in seasons past.
The right-hander is just now testing his arm in real game situations with a couple rehab starts with Triple-A Reno, the first of which came Sunday night. McCarthy lasted 4.1 innings, allowed six runs on nine hits with two walks and one strikeout.
"I think he ran out of gas last night. That's kind of what I took out of it," said Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson. "He threw the ball decently, (got to the) fifth inning and just kind of lost it. His arm got tired and his legs got tired.
"I haven't talked to him, but just looking at it, he didn't finish very strong. But that's why he's down there, to build up strength and endurance."
McCarthy, 30, was 2-4 with a 5.00 ERA in 11 starts for the D-backs before going on the disabled list. The original plan was for McCarthy to have two starts with Reno and get up to 90 or 95 pitches in each outing.
On Sunday, he threw just 71 total pitches, 44 of those being strikes.
McCarthy was spotted on Monday in the D-backs' clubhouse, but said he's just in Arizona in between starts. He's supposed to head back to Reno when his turn in that squad's rotation comes up.
Gibson reiterated that plan during his media session Monday before the D-backs took on the Chicago Cubs.
"Well, we know he's gonna do one more for sure," the skipper said.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- D-backs go 3-4 on road trip, prepare for homestand vs. Phillies, Rockies
- D-backs' Mike Bolsinger shines in series finale at Wrigley: By The Numbers
- Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
- D-backs place outfielder Mark Trumbo on 15-day D.L.
- Diamondbacks' Mark Trumbo out indefinitely with stress fracture in foot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.