Updated Jul 22, 2013 - 5:53 pm
For now, Brad Ziegler is the D-backs' closer
Getting a lead in games is important, but so is keeping it. So, it is imperative the team has confidence in the pitcher that comes in to close out games, and right now Brad Ziegler seems to be that guy.
"Well he came in and got me five ground balls [Sunday] and that's what I was looking for," said manager Kirk Gibson before Monday's game. "I've told you guys that it's somewhat by committee right now, kind of make my decision as it goes on within the game, although I did tell Ziggy that I was thinking he would be that guy."
Ziegler earned his fourth save in four chances in a win at San Francisco Sunday, allowing one unearned run in the ninth. All four of his save opportunities have come since July 4.
The D-backs are tied with the Cubs for the Major League lead in blown saves with 19. Gibson feels confident with Ziegler in that role, but didn't completely dismiss the idea that he could still go "closer by committee" or base it on the in-game situation.
"So that's where I am right now. If we're in the eighth inning and we've got two outs or we've got one out and the bases are loaded, who's the best guy on our team for that situation? It's Brad Ziegler," the skipper said. "Bring him in and hope he gets the double-play ball and then he goes out and throws the ninth."
Ziegler is a good choice, according to the numbers thus far and the small sample size with him in the closer role this season. He has not allowed an earned run in six straight outings, and among all relievers since 2008 with a minimum of 200 games he is first with 79 ground ball-induced double-plays.
But again, Gibson leaves the door open as only he can.
"I mean it's not etched in stone. I mean, recently, that's the way I've done it. I've kind of looked at how we're going to get through the lineups and I've used virtually anybody in any situation."
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Randy Wolf impressive in Triple-A start
- D-backs will consider 'any and everything' when it comes to personnel changes
- D-backs go 3-4 on road trip, prepare for homestand vs. Phillies, Rockies
- D-backs' Mike Bolsinger shines in series finale at Wrigley: By The Numbers
- Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.