Updated Jul 22, 2013 - 5:53 pm
For now, Brad Ziegler is the D-backs' closer
Getting a lead in games is important, but so is keeping it. So, it is imperative the team has confidence in the pitcher that comes in to close out games, and right now Brad Ziegler seems to be that guy.
"Well he came in and got me five ground balls [Sunday] and that's what I was looking for," said manager Kirk Gibson before Monday's game. "I've told you guys that it's somewhat by committee right now, kind of make my decision as it goes on within the game, although I did tell Ziggy that I was thinking he would be that guy."
Ziegler earned his fourth save in four chances in a win at San Francisco Sunday, allowing one unearned run in the ninth. All four of his save opportunities have come since July 4.
The D-backs are tied with the Cubs for the Major League lead in blown saves with 19. Gibson feels confident with Ziegler in that role, but didn't completely dismiss the idea that he could still go "closer by committee" or base it on the in-game situation.
"So that's where I am right now. If we're in the eighth inning and we've got two outs or we've got one out and the bases are loaded, who's the best guy on our team for that situation? It's Brad Ziegler," the skipper said. "Bring him in and hope he gets the double-play ball and then he goes out and throws the ninth."
Ziegler is a good choice, according to the numbers thus far and the small sample size with him in the closer role this season. He has not allowed an earned run in six straight outings, and among all relievers since 2008 with a minimum of 200 games he is first with 79 ground ball-induced double-plays.
But again, Gibson leaves the door open as only he can.
"I mean it's not etched in stone. I mean, recently, that's the way I've done it. I've kind of looked at how we're going to get through the lineups and I've used virtually anybody in any situation."
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Miley struggles in opener, Phillies top D-backs: By The Numbers
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.