Updated Jul 22, 2013 - 5:53 pm
For now, Brad Ziegler is the D-backs' closer
Getting a lead in games is important, but so is keeping it. So, it is imperative the team has confidence in the pitcher that comes in to close out games, and right now Brad Ziegler seems to be that guy.
"Well he came in and got me five ground balls [Sunday] and that's what I was looking for," said manager Kirk Gibson before Monday's game. "I've told you guys that it's somewhat by committee right now, kind of make my decision as it goes on within the game, although I did tell Ziggy that I was thinking he would be that guy."
Ziegler earned his fourth save in four chances in a win at San Francisco Sunday, allowing one unearned run in the ninth. All four of his save opportunities have come since July 4.
The D-backs are tied with the Cubs for the Major League lead in blown saves with 19. Gibson feels confident with Ziegler in that role, but didn't completely dismiss the idea that he could still go "closer by committee" or base it on the in-game situation.
"So that's where I am right now. If we're in the eighth inning and we've got two outs or we've got one out and the bases are loaded, who's the best guy on our team for that situation? It's Brad Ziegler," the skipper said. "Bring him in and hope he gets the double-play ball and then he goes out and throws the ninth."
Ziegler is a good choice, according to the numbers thus far and the small sample size with him in the closer role this season. He has not allowed an earned run in six straight outings, and among all relievers since 2008 with a minimum of 200 games he is first with 79 ground ball-induced double-plays.
But again, Gibson leaves the door open as only he can.
"I mean it's not etched in stone. I mean, recently, that's the way I've done it. I've kind of looked at how we're going to get through the lineups and I've used virtually anybody in any situation."
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.