Diamondbacks manager Gibson on Ryan Braun, cheaters: 'You have to ask why they do it'
Braun, you may recall, was the catalyst for the Brewers knocking the Diamondbacks out of the 2011 postseason. The NL MVP that season, Braun hammered the D-backs to the tune of a .500 average with one home run and four RBI. He doubled four times and had an OPS of 1.460 for the series, which Milwaukee won three games to two.
So to learn, with certainty, that Braun was not "clean" during that time has to sting, but D-backs manager Kirk Gibson was not willing delve into the idea that perhaps things would have been different for his team had Braun not been cheating.
Instead, the skipper shared his thoughts on what baseball needs to do to rid itself of scandals like this.
"We all know the history of it, where it all started," he said prior to Monday's game against the Chicago Cubs. "I think the good news is it appears that MLB is making progress to clean up the sport.
"It seems that the deterrents are going to be greater, and they should be."
Gibson added he believes baseball should come down even harder on players than it is, to the point where the league makes "people not want to do it because the penalties are so severe."
What those penalties may be, who knows. The skipper said, along with being banned from the All-Star Game as well as the Baseball Hall of Fame, baseball should perhaps look to institute financial ramifications.
"I think you have to ask why they do it," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.