Diamondbacks manager Gibson on Ryan Braun, cheaters: 'You have to ask why they do it'
Braun, you may recall, was the catalyst for the Brewers knocking the Diamondbacks out of the 2011 postseason. The NL MVP that season, Braun hammered the D-backs to the tune of a .500 average with one home run and four RBI. He doubled four times and had an OPS of 1.460 for the series, which Milwaukee won three games to two.
So to learn, with certainty, that Braun was not "clean" during that time has to sting, but D-backs manager Kirk Gibson was not willing delve into the idea that perhaps things would have been different for his team had Braun not been cheating.
Instead, the skipper shared his thoughts on what baseball needs to do to rid itself of scandals like this.
"We all know the history of it, where it all started," he said prior to Monday's game against the Chicago Cubs. "I think the good news is it appears that MLB is making progress to clean up the sport.
"It seems that the deterrents are going to be greater, and they should be."
Gibson added he believes baseball should come down even harder on players than it is, to the point where the league makes "people not want to do it because the penalties are so severe."
What those penalties may be, who knows. The skipper said, along with being banned from the All-Star Game as well as the Baseball Hall of Fame, baseball should perhaps look to institute financial ramifications.
"I think you have to ask why they do it," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.