Diamondbacks manager Gibson on Ryan Braun, cheaters: 'You have to ask why they do it'
Braun, you may recall, was the catalyst for the Brewers knocking the Diamondbacks out of the 2011 postseason. The NL MVP that season, Braun hammered the D-backs to the tune of a .500 average with one home run and four RBI. He doubled four times and had an OPS of 1.460 for the series, which Milwaukee won three games to two.
So to learn, with certainty, that Braun was not "clean" during that time has to sting, but D-backs manager Kirk Gibson was not willing delve into the idea that perhaps things would have been different for his team had Braun not been cheating.
Instead, the skipper shared his thoughts on what baseball needs to do to rid itself of scandals like this.
"We all know the history of it, where it all started," he said prior to Monday's game against the Chicago Cubs. "I think the good news is it appears that MLB is making progress to clean up the sport.
"It seems that the deterrents are going to be greater, and they should be."
Gibson added he believes baseball should come down even harder on players than it is, to the point where the league makes "people not want to do it because the penalties are so severe."
What those penalties may be, who knows. The skipper said, along with being banned from the All-Star Game as well as the Baseball Hall of Fame, baseball should perhaps look to institute financial ramifications.
"I think you have to ask why they do it," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.