Updated Jul 22, 2013 - 7:51 am
D-backs' right-hander Brandon McCarthy flounders in first rehab start for Triple-A Reno Aces
At the time, the 30-year-old right-hander had a 2-4 record and 5.00 ERA in 11 starts for his new team.
Just over a week into the DL stint, McCarthy suffered a seizure while dining at a North Phoenix restaurant with his wife, an incident that, according to him, wouldn't be a setback in his recovery from the shoulder injury that originally landed him on the disabled list.
His recovery has been slow, but on Sunday, McCarthy began his rehab assignment, joining the Triple-A Reno Aces to make a start against the Las Vegas 51s -- Triple-A affiliate of the New York Mets.
The outing didn't go well.
McCarthy lasted just 4.1 innings in the start, allowing just two fewer baserunners than outs made, as the 51s logged nine hits and two walks while earning six runs. The Diamondbacks' offseason acquisition managed to record just one strike out in the start.
McCarthy allowed one run in the first inning and five in the fifth -- an inning in which he managed just one out before being removed by Aces manager Brett Butler in favor of left-hander Joe Paterson.
After Sunday's start, McCarthy's rehab status is unknown, though it seems likely that the pitcher will need to make at least one more appearance before rejoining the big league club, which is something he addressed while talking with Arizona Sports 620's Kyndra de St. Aubin on Friday.
"Throw Sunday and if you get your innings and you get your pitches," McCarthy explained, "and if you're pretty close to being ready then it's just kind of up to them if they want to let me stretch out in a big league game or another one in Reno is fine, it's just kind of up to them at this point."
This is McCarthy's ninth trip to the disabled list in his eight-year major league career; the sixth such stint with a shoulder issue.
- In second year with D-backs, Martin Prado finally feeling 'comfortable and settled'
- No clear lineup materializing for 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill 'unable to execute' against Oakland
- D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Patrick Corbin where he needs to be moving towards season opener
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.