Updated Jul 22, 2013 - 7:51 am
D-backs' right-hander Brandon McCarthy flounders in first rehab start for Triple-A Reno Aces
At the time, the 30-year-old right-hander had a 2-4 record and 5.00 ERA in 11 starts for his new team.
Just over a week into the DL stint, McCarthy suffered a seizure while dining at a North Phoenix restaurant with his wife, an incident that, according to him, wouldn't be a setback in his recovery from the shoulder injury that originally landed him on the disabled list.
His recovery has been slow, but on Sunday, McCarthy began his rehab assignment, joining the Triple-A Reno Aces to make a start against the Las Vegas 51s -- Triple-A affiliate of the New York Mets.
The outing didn't go well.
McCarthy lasted just 4.1 innings in the start, allowing just two fewer baserunners than outs made, as the 51s logged nine hits and two walks while earning six runs. The Diamondbacks' offseason acquisition managed to record just one strike out in the start.
McCarthy allowed one run in the first inning and five in the fifth -- an inning in which he managed just one out before being removed by Aces manager Brett Butler in favor of left-hander Joe Paterson.
After Sunday's start, McCarthy's rehab status is unknown, though it seems likely that the pitcher will need to make at least one more appearance before rejoining the big league club, which is something he addressed while talking with Arizona Sports 620's Kyndra de St. Aubin on Friday.
"Throw Sunday and if you get your innings and you get your pitches," McCarthy explained, "and if you're pretty close to being ready then it's just kind of up to them if they want to let me stretch out in a big league game or another one in Reno is fine, it's just kind of up to them at this point."
This is McCarthy's ninth trip to the disabled list in his eight-year major league career; the sixth such stint with a shoulder issue.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.