Updated Jul 22, 2013 - 7:51 am
D-backs' right-hander Brandon McCarthy flounders in first rehab start for Triple-A Reno Aces
At the time, the 30-year-old right-hander had a 2-4 record and 5.00 ERA in 11 starts for his new team.
Just over a week into the DL stint, McCarthy suffered a seizure while dining at a North Phoenix restaurant with his wife, an incident that, according to him, wouldn't be a setback in his recovery from the shoulder injury that originally landed him on the disabled list.
His recovery has been slow, but on Sunday, McCarthy began his rehab assignment, joining the Triple-A Reno Aces to make a start against the Las Vegas 51s -- Triple-A affiliate of the New York Mets.
The outing didn't go well.
McCarthy lasted just 4.1 innings in the start, allowing just two fewer baserunners than outs made, as the 51s logged nine hits and two walks while earning six runs. The Diamondbacks' offseason acquisition managed to record just one strike out in the start.
McCarthy allowed one run in the first inning and five in the fifth -- an inning in which he managed just one out before being removed by Aces manager Brett Butler in favor of left-hander Joe Paterson.
After Sunday's start, McCarthy's rehab status is unknown, though it seems likely that the pitcher will need to make at least one more appearance before rejoining the big league club, which is something he addressed while talking with Arizona Sports 620's Kyndra de St. Aubin on Friday.
"Throw Sunday and if you get your innings and you get your pitches," McCarthy explained, "and if you're pretty close to being ready then it's just kind of up to them if they want to let me stretch out in a big league game or another one in Reno is fine, it's just kind of up to them at this point."
This is McCarthy's ninth trip to the disabled list in his eight-year major league career; the sixth such stint with a shoulder issue.
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.