Updated Jul 19, 2013 - 5:22 pm
Paul Goldschmidt's production to drop off in second half?
However, CBS Sports writer Michael Hurcomb says Goldschmidt's numbers have nowhere to go but down for the second half of the season.
It can't be overlooked that Goldschmidt's numbers in his young MLB career have been much better in the first half than second half.
Hurcomb points out that the third-year player has hit .308 with a slugging percentage of .555 and an OPS (on-base + slugging percentage) of .939 in 168 first-half games. That is in contrast to his second-half numbers of a .263 batting average, .447 slugging percentage and .792 OPS in 119 games. (He actually began his career in the second half of the 2011 season.)
The 2012 season was Goldschmidt's first full year in the Majors, and his performance in the second half was disproportionate to what he did in the first.
Goldschmidt came back in 2012 to hit .271 in the second half, but he hit just eight home runs and slugged .431 in 71 games.
While the past two seasons are too small of a sample size to write off Goldschmidt's second-half production for the rest of his career, now is as good of a time as any for him to start shedding the perception that he is more than a pre-All-Star break standout.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?