Updated Jul 19, 2013 - 5:22 pm
Paul Goldschmidt's production to drop off in second half?
However, CBS Sports writer Michael Hurcomb says Goldschmidt's numbers have nowhere to go but down for the second half of the season.
It can't be overlooked that Goldschmidt's numbers in his young MLB career have been much better in the first half than second half.
Hurcomb points out that the third-year player has hit .308 with a slugging percentage of .555 and an OPS (on-base + slugging percentage) of .939 in 168 first-half games. That is in contrast to his second-half numbers of a .263 batting average, .447 slugging percentage and .792 OPS in 119 games. (He actually began his career in the second half of the 2011 season.)
The 2012 season was Goldschmidt's first full year in the Majors, and his performance in the second half was disproportionate to what he did in the first.
Goldschmidt came back in 2012 to hit .271 in the second half, but he hit just eight home runs and slugged .431 in 71 games.
While the past two seasons are too small of a sample size to write off Goldschmidt's second-half production for the rest of his career, now is as good of a time as any for him to start shedding the perception that he is more than a pre-All-Star break standout.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?