Updated Jul 18, 2013 - 8:08 am
Second half hopes for the Arizona Diamondbacks
If the Arizona Diamondbacks hope to stay atop the National League West in the second half of the season, there are a few scenarios that must play out.
Don't trade Skaggs, Bradley or Holmberg
The D-backs are clearly in position to win the NL West. The key to success in the postseason is to have two lockdown starters. The price to get those is too high to pay during the season. Getting to the postseason is not the goal. Winning the World Series is the goal. Skaggs, Bradley and Holmberg are pieces to winning a World Series, not bait to get to the postseason. They are untouchable.
Get Ian Kennedy right
There is no division championship without Kennedy fixing his issues. He must right the ship.
Miggy needs to rebound
He's showing signs of life at the plate. The only way to know if the mini-streak Montero is on recently can be believed is if he stops over-swinging. Montero has insisted for three months on trying to hit five-run home runs. Get a hit, keep the line moving. Montero is a much better power hitter when he swings for contact, which he hasn't done much of.
All-Stars keep playing like it
It's asking so much of two young players to return from the high of their first All-Star experience and still be able to settle down mentally. There is no postseason without Corbin and Goldschmidt doing exactly what they've been doing. The truth is, it's asking way too much of most players. For some reason, it doesn't seem like a stretch to expect them to continue.
Doug Franz, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.