Updated Jul 18, 2013 - 8:08 am
Second half hopes for the Arizona Diamondbacks
If the Arizona Diamondbacks hope to stay atop the National League West in the second half of the season, there are a few scenarios that must play out.
Don't trade Skaggs, Bradley or Holmberg
The D-backs are clearly in position to win the NL West. The key to success in the postseason is to have two lockdown starters. The price to get those is too high to pay during the season. Getting to the postseason is not the goal. Winning the World Series is the goal. Skaggs, Bradley and Holmberg are pieces to winning a World Series, not bait to get to the postseason. They are untouchable.
Get Ian Kennedy right
There is no division championship without Kennedy fixing his issues. He must right the ship.
Miggy needs to rebound
He's showing signs of life at the plate. The only way to know if the mini-streak Montero is on recently can be believed is if he stops over-swinging. Montero has insisted for three months on trying to hit five-run home runs. Get a hit, keep the line moving. Montero is a much better power hitter when he swings for contact, which he hasn't done much of.
All-Stars keep playing like it
It's asking so much of two young players to return from the high of their first All-Star experience and still be able to settle down mentally. There is no postseason without Corbin and Goldschmidt doing exactly what they've been doing. The truth is, it's asking way too much of most players. For some reason, it doesn't seem like a stretch to expect them to continue.
Doug Franz, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.