Updated Jul 18, 2013 - 8:08 am
Second half hopes for the Arizona Diamondbacks
If the Arizona Diamondbacks hope to stay atop the National League West in the second half of the season, there are a few scenarios that must play out.
Don't trade Skaggs, Bradley or Holmberg
The D-backs are clearly in position to win the NL West. The key to success in the postseason is to have two lockdown starters. The price to get those is too high to pay during the season. Getting to the postseason is not the goal. Winning the World Series is the goal. Skaggs, Bradley and Holmberg are pieces to winning a World Series, not bait to get to the postseason. They are untouchable.
Get Ian Kennedy right
There is no division championship without Kennedy fixing his issues. He must right the ship.
Miggy needs to rebound
He's showing signs of life at the plate. The only way to know if the mini-streak Montero is on recently can be believed is if he stops over-swinging. Montero has insisted for three months on trying to hit five-run home runs. Get a hit, keep the line moving. Montero is a much better power hitter when he swings for contact, which he hasn't done much of.
All-Stars keep playing like it
It's asking so much of two young players to return from the high of their first All-Star experience and still be able to settle down mentally. There is no postseason without Corbin and Goldschmidt doing exactly what they've been doing. The truth is, it's asking way too much of most players. For some reason, it doesn't seem like a stretch to expect them to continue.
Doug Franz, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Beckett, Puig silence D-backs in series-clinching win for Dodgers: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Bolsinger struggles in first career start
- Ethier's HR propels Dodgers over Diamondbacks
- D-backs lose early lead, fall to Dodgers: By The Numbers
- Reserve outfielder Tony Campana supplies spark during D-backs' sluggish start
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.