Updated Jul 18, 2013 - 8:08 am
Second half hopes for the Arizona Diamondbacks
If the Arizona Diamondbacks hope to stay atop the National League West in the second half of the season, there are a few scenarios that must play out.
Don't trade Skaggs, Bradley or Holmberg
The D-backs are clearly in position to win the NL West. The key to success in the postseason is to have two lockdown starters. The price to get those is too high to pay during the season. Getting to the postseason is not the goal. Winning the World Series is the goal. Skaggs, Bradley and Holmberg are pieces to winning a World Series, not bait to get to the postseason. They are untouchable.
Get Ian Kennedy right
There is no division championship without Kennedy fixing his issues. He must right the ship.
Miggy needs to rebound
He's showing signs of life at the plate. The only way to know if the mini-streak Montero is on recently can be believed is if he stops over-swinging. Montero has insisted for three months on trying to hit five-run home runs. Get a hit, keep the line moving. Montero is a much better power hitter when he swings for contact, which he hasn't done much of.
All-Stars keep playing like it
It's asking so much of two young players to return from the high of their first All-Star experience and still be able to settle down mentally. There is no postseason without Corbin and Goldschmidt doing exactly what they've been doing. The truth is, it's asking way too much of most players. For some reason, it doesn't seem like a stretch to expect them to continue.
Doug Franz, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Does Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Trevor Cahill pitch better when Tuffy Gosewich is catching?
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.