D-backs' Paul Goldschmidt makes his All-Star Game debut
Arizona Diamondbacks first baseman Paul Goldschmidt made his debut in the MLB All-Star Game on Tuesday night.
Goldschmidt entered the game in the fifth inning to replace Cincinnati Reds' first baseman Joey Votto and played the remainder of the game.
In two at-bats, Goldschmidt went 1-for-2 with a double.
Baltimore Orioles' third baseman Manny Machado robbed Goldschmidt of a hit in his first at-bat in the seventh. Machado fielded the ball deep in the hole at third and used his strong arm to nab the D-backs' slugger by a step.
Goldschmidt's last at-bat resulted in an opposite field double off the wall. The NL was down to their final out when the game was kept alive by Goldschmidt's extra-base hit.
The American League defeated the National League 3-0 in the 84th Midsummer Classic.
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.