D-backs' Patrick Corbin suffers loss in first All-Star appearance
First-time All-Star and New York native Patrick Corbin got to fulfill a lifelong dream when he took the mound in Tuesday's All-Star Game.
Unfortunately for Corbin, his All-Star experience didn't end the way he anticipated.
Corbin, who went 11-1 with a 2.35 ERA in the season's first half for Arizona, entered a scoreless game in the fourth inning for the National League.
The D-backs' southpaw allowed a leadoff double to Tigers' superstar Miguel Cabrera, followed by a single to Orioles' first baseman Chris Davis. The 22-year-old was able to minimize the damage by getting Blue Jays' right-fielder Jose Bautista to fly out and Red Sox's DH David Ortiz to ground into an inning-ending double play.
Bautista's sacrifice fly netted the game's first run.
Corbin allowed one run on two hits with no strikeouts or walks in his only inning of work.
The National League couldn't muster any offense to bail Corbin out, as the American League went on to win 3-0, handing the D-backs' hurler the hard-luck loss.
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.