Report: Diamondbacks a new entry into Matt Garza sweepstakes
According to CBS Sports.com's Jon Heyman, the D-backs are an interesting entry into the race due to their farm system's pitching depth.
Arizona's pitching has been surprisingly inconsistent this year, and its reported plan to concentrate on pitchers who are non-rentals may have to be out the window in an extremely limited starting-pitching market. Towers, though, has strong ties to White Sox right-hander Jake Peavy, who's expected to hit the market as soon as his broken rib heals, and Peavy may be more attractive to Towers as a non-rental. (His contract runs through next year.)
The Cubs seek top-tier prospects, according to rival teams, and that shouldn't surprise anyone as Garza is 5-0 with a 1.24 ERA over his past six starts. However, with Cubs top honchos conceding that the team is probably a year away from contention, it may not be necessary to include major-league ready or close-to-major-league ready prospects, as long as the ones lower down are considered high-ceiling guys by Cubs people. The Cubs are well-stocked with big positional prospects, so presumably pitching would be slightly preferred, though potential is surely the key.
Garza, 29, is 6-1 with a 3.17 ERA for the Chicago Cubs this season. For his career, which has seen him pitch for Tampa Bay and Minnesota as well, he has posted a 63-62 record with a 3.80 ERA.
While a solid pitcher, it's worth wondering what the D-backs GM Kevin Towers would be willing to surrender in the way of prospects.
Because while a package including young lefty Tyler Skaggs or promising right-hander David Holmberg may be enough, it may not be worth parting with one of them for a couple months of Garza, whose contract is set to expire after this season.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?