Report: Diamondbacks a new entry into Matt Garza sweepstakes
According to CBS Sports.com's Jon Heyman, the D-backs are an interesting entry into the race due to their farm system's pitching depth.
Arizona's pitching has been surprisingly inconsistent this year, and its reported plan to concentrate on pitchers who are non-rentals may have to be out the window in an extremely limited starting-pitching market. Towers, though, has strong ties to White Sox right-hander Jake Peavy, who's expected to hit the market as soon as his broken rib heals, and Peavy may be more attractive to Towers as a non-rental. (His contract runs through next year.)
The Cubs seek top-tier prospects, according to rival teams, and that shouldn't surprise anyone as Garza is 5-0 with a 1.24 ERA over his past six starts. However, with Cubs top honchos conceding that the team is probably a year away from contention, it may not be necessary to include major-league ready or close-to-major-league ready prospects, as long as the ones lower down are considered high-ceiling guys by Cubs people. The Cubs are well-stocked with big positional prospects, so presumably pitching would be slightly preferred, though potential is surely the key.
Garza, 29, is 6-1 with a 3.17 ERA for the Chicago Cubs this season. For his career, which has seen him pitch for Tampa Bay and Minnesota as well, he has posted a 63-62 record with a 3.80 ERA.
While a solid pitcher, it's worth wondering what the D-backs GM Kevin Towers would be willing to surrender in the way of prospects.
Because while a package including young lefty Tyler Skaggs or promising right-hander David Holmberg may be enough, it may not be worth parting with one of them for a couple months of Garza, whose contract is set to expire after this season.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.