Report: Diamondbacks a new entry into Matt Garza sweepstakes
According to CBS Sports.com's Jon Heyman, the D-backs are an interesting entry into the race due to their farm system's pitching depth.
Arizona's pitching has been surprisingly inconsistent this year, and its reported plan to concentrate on pitchers who are non-rentals may have to be out the window in an extremely limited starting-pitching market. Towers, though, has strong ties to White Sox right-hander Jake Peavy, who's expected to hit the market as soon as his broken rib heals, and Peavy may be more attractive to Towers as a non-rental. (His contract runs through next year.)
The Cubs seek top-tier prospects, according to rival teams, and that shouldn't surprise anyone as Garza is 5-0 with a 1.24 ERA over his past six starts. However, with Cubs top honchos conceding that the team is probably a year away from contention, it may not be necessary to include major-league ready or close-to-major-league ready prospects, as long as the ones lower down are considered high-ceiling guys by Cubs people. The Cubs are well-stocked with big positional prospects, so presumably pitching would be slightly preferred, though potential is surely the key.
Garza, 29, is 6-1 with a 3.17 ERA for the Chicago Cubs this season. For his career, which has seen him pitch for Tampa Bay and Minnesota as well, he has posted a 63-62 record with a 3.80 ERA.
While a solid pitcher, it's worth wondering what the D-backs GM Kevin Towers would be willing to surrender in the way of prospects.
Because while a package including young lefty Tyler Skaggs or promising right-hander David Holmberg may be enough, it may not be worth parting with one of them for a couple months of Garza, whose contract is set to expire after this season.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.