Patrick Corbin's pre-All-Star season one of best in franchise history
Patrick Corbin, who appeared in his first All-Star Game Tuesday, had a first half that was comparable to all of them, thus putting his name in the conversation.
Corbin entered the All-Star break with an 11-1 record and also owns the third-best ERA (2.35) in the National League.
Johnson's 1.80 ERA in 2000 and Dan Haren's ERA of 2.01 are the only earned run averages better than Corbin's at the break.
Schilling never had an ERA under 3.00 at the break, while he was in a D-back uniform.
The 23-year-old Corbin has the least amount of losses out of any of the aforementioned pitchers and is one of three hurlers (Johnson, Schilling, Webb) to put up double-digit wins in the first half.
To compare Corbin's strikeout total with the likes of the Big Unit and Schilling would be silly, but his 109 punch-outs is in the same ballpark as Haren and Webb.
Webb's strikeout total was between 103 and 112 from 06-08 and Haren topped out at 129 punch-outs in 2009.
The season most comparable to Corbin's first half would be Johnson's 2002 first half when he posted a 12-3 record with a 2.47 ERA.
Johnson went on to win 12 more games in the second half and won the 2002 NL Cy Young Award. Corbin has a chance to do the same.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.