Patrick Corbin's pre-All-Star season one of best in franchise history
Patrick Corbin, who appeared in his first All-Star Game Tuesday, had a first half that was comparable to all of them, thus putting his name in the conversation.
Corbin entered the All-Star break with an 11-1 record and also owns the third-best ERA (2.35) in the National League.
Johnson's 1.80 ERA in 2000 and Dan Haren's ERA of 2.01 are the only earned run averages better than Corbin's at the break.
Schilling never had an ERA under 3.00 at the break, while he was in a D-back uniform.
The 23-year-old Corbin has the least amount of losses out of any of the aforementioned pitchers and is one of three hurlers (Johnson, Schilling, Webb) to put up double-digit wins in the first half.
To compare Corbin's strikeout total with the likes of the Big Unit and Schilling would be silly, but his 109 punch-outs is in the same ballpark as Haren and Webb.
Webb's strikeout total was between 103 and 112 from 06-08 and Haren topped out at 129 punch-outs in 2009.
The season most comparable to Corbin's first half would be Johnson's 2002 first half when he posted a 12-3 record with a 2.47 ERA.
Johnson went on to win 12 more games in the second half and won the 2002 NL Cy Young Award. Corbin has a chance to do the same.
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.