Paul Goldschmidt's pre-All-Star numbers comparable to D-backs greats
The first-time All-Star entered the break hitting .313 with a career-high 21 home runs and an NL-best 77 RBI.
The D-backs' slugger may lead the National League in RBI at the midway point of the season, but where does he rank among franchise greats?
The 25-year-old's pre-All-Star season certainly stacks up to many comparable years of D-backs' legends.
The only players to have more RBI at the break than Goldschmidt are Luis Gonzalez and Matt Williams.
Gonzalez had 86 in 2001 while Williams had 82 RBI at the midway point of the 1999 season.
Goldschmidt's 21 home runs rank fifth among past D-backs players. Gonzalez's total of 35 home runs in 2001 is the most in D-backs history at the halfway mark.
Steve Finley's 25 home runs in 2000 rank second, followed by Jay Bell's 24 and Williams' 23 in 1999.
No D-back comes near Gonzalez's .360 batting average in 1999 or his .355 batting average in 2001, but Goldschmidt is one of 19 D-backs with over 250 at-bats to be hitting over .300 at the break.
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.