Updated Jul 14, 2013 - 7:56 am
CBSSports.com columnist: Miguel Montero among baseball's 'Anti-All-Stars'
Two years later, the Arizona Diamondbacks catcher is a far cry from being a National League representative in the Midsummer Classic.
Through the first 93 games of 2013, Montero is hitting 50 points below his career average (.268) and has just six home runs and 31 RBI. Throw in the fact he's been the primary battery mate for a rotation with only one winning pitcher (Patrick Corbin) and a bullpen with an MLB-high 19 blown saves, and it's safe to say the 30-year-old hasn't performed at a very high level.
Montero's poor first half was highlighted Friday by CBSSports.com MLB columnist Scott Miller, who named the D-backs catcher to his Anti-All-Stars team with the likes of Ryan Howard, Dan Uggla, Alex Rodriguez, Josh Hamilton and B.J. Upton.
Barely a year into his five-year, $60 million deal, Montero has fallen as swiftly as Paula Deen into a vat of butter. His .318 slugging percentage is the worst in the majors among catchers with enough at-bats to qualify for the batting title. Snakebitten, indeed.
While his inclusion on Miller's team of disappointments isn't all that surprising, the Venezuelan's season-long slump is. In 2012, Montero set career-highs in games played (141), RBI (88), on-base percentage (.391) and on-base plus slugging percentage (.829).
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.