Report: D-backs could be interested in Jake Peavy
The Arizona Diamondbacks, currently in first place by a game and a half over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the National League West, are one of the teams looking for pitching help for a second-half push.
Buster Olney, in an ESPN Insider piece, says the D-backs may have interest in Chicago White Sox veteran right-hander Jake Peavy.
Peavy has deep ties with the Arizona organization: General manager Kevin Towers was with the Padres when Peavy was drafted, developed and promoted, and Towers has always loved Peavy's competitiveness. There is a perception within the Arizona organization that the rotation could use a veteran stabilizer -- someone who can work with younger pitchers such as Ian Kennedy and Trevor Cahill -- and this is what Peavy has done for Chris Sale in Chicago.
Peavy has been shelved with a rib injury since early June, but has posted a 6-4 record with a 4.30 ERA in 11 starts for the Sox this season. He's slated to make a rehab start Sunday.
The 32-year-old is in the first year of a two-year, $29 million contract he signed with Chicago last October.
As far as whom the D-backs could be dangling in a potential Peavy trade, Olney writes:
Whether it's coincidence or not, the White Sox scouts saw the Diamondbacks on a night earlier this week when Randall Delgado pitched. Arizona, like the (St. Luois) Cardinals, has some pitching depth, with Tyler Skaggs, Archie Bradley and others, and Delgado could be a trade chip.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.