Report: D-backs could be interested in Jake Peavy
The Arizona Diamondbacks, currently in first place by a game and a half over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the National League West, are one of the teams looking for pitching help for a second-half push.
Buster Olney, in an ESPN Insider piece, says the D-backs may have interest in Chicago White Sox veteran right-hander Jake Peavy.
Peavy has deep ties with the Arizona organization: General manager Kevin Towers was with the Padres when Peavy was drafted, developed and promoted, and Towers has always loved Peavy's competitiveness. There is a perception within the Arizona organization that the rotation could use a veteran stabilizer -- someone who can work with younger pitchers such as Ian Kennedy and Trevor Cahill -- and this is what Peavy has done for Chris Sale in Chicago.
Peavy has been shelved with a rib injury since early June, but has posted a 6-4 record with a 4.30 ERA in 11 starts for the Sox this season. He's slated to make a rehab start Sunday.
The 32-year-old is in the first year of a two-year, $29 million contract he signed with Chicago last October.
As far as whom the D-backs could be dangling in a potential Peavy trade, Olney writes:
Whether it's coincidence or not, the White Sox scouts saw the Diamondbacks on a night earlier this week when Randall Delgado pitched. Arizona, like the (St. Luois) Cardinals, has some pitching depth, with Tyler Skaggs, Archie Bradley and others, and Delgado could be a trade chip.
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.