Updated Jul 12, 2013 - 8:18 am
Grit Index: D-backs rally, hold on for win against Brewers
The right-hander did make things interesting by putting two on in the ninth, but he coaxed a groundout of pinch hitter Martin Maldonado to end the game. Ziegler ended with one inning of work, one hit and one strikeout and the save, his second of the season.
Starter Wade Miley finished with a nice line of eight innings of work, eight hits, three earned runs and four strikeouts, but he didn't look so good at first. Arizona got behind early when Miley gave up a two-run homer to Jonathan Lucroy in the first inning and another solo home run in the third by Carlos Gomez. Through 2.2 innings, he had given up seven hits, but from there he retired 13 straight. Miley also earned the win for his sixth of the season.
As for Arizona's offense, the big hit came off of Jim Henderson in the eighth. Henderson walked Adam Eaton, Paul Goldschmidt (intentionally) and Jason Kubel to load the bases, and that's when Martin Prado knocked in two with a single to give the D-backs the lead and eventually the win.
Wade Miley won back-to-back starts for the first time since early April. His eight innings tied a career-high. He's also allowed three earned runs or less in eight straight starts since June 5.
Ziegler recorded his 21st career save. At Chase Field, 12 of his last 13 appearances have been scoreless, with a .075 ERA and one earned run in 12 innings pitched
The Diamondbacks didn't gain any ground on the Dodgers Thursday night despite the win because L.A. beat the Rockies 6-1. Arizona remains 1.5 games ahead in the NL West.
-Paul Goldschmidt was on base four times Thursday with three walks and a single. He now has an eight-game hitting streak.
-The D-backs have now recorded an extra-base hit in 76 straight games. That's the fifth longest streak in team history.
He Said It:
"Third or fourth inning, I don't know, I just wasn't loose. I wasn't able to really establish in, so everything, I was having to live away and Miggy saw that early and we started going changeup, a lot more off-speed pitches just trying to get guys out. Everybody knows what happened [Tuesday] night and I just wanted to go as deep as possible. Fortunately started feeling better as the game went on and got in a little better rhythm and I was able to get through eight." ---Starter Wade Miley on getting on track after the third inning.
The D-backs and Brewers play game two of this four game series Friday night. Lefty Patrick Corbin will try for his eleventh win of the season and lefty Tom Gorzelanny will go for Milwaukee. Corbin comes into the game with a 2.40 ERA and he's 6-0 with a 1.56 ERA in nine starts at home. First pitch is at 6:40 p.m. on Arizona Sports 620.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Dose of Venom: Nuño denied first NL victory, D-backs bullpen implodes in crushing loss to Pirates
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.