Updated Jul 12, 2013 - 8:18 am
Grit Index: D-backs rally, hold on for win against Brewers
The right-hander did make things interesting by putting two on in the ninth, but he coaxed a groundout of pinch hitter Martin Maldonado to end the game. Ziegler ended with one inning of work, one hit and one strikeout and the save, his second of the season.
Starter Wade Miley finished with a nice line of eight innings of work, eight hits, three earned runs and four strikeouts, but he didn't look so good at first. Arizona got behind early when Miley gave up a two-run homer to Jonathan Lucroy in the first inning and another solo home run in the third by Carlos Gomez. Through 2.2 innings, he had given up seven hits, but from there he retired 13 straight. Miley also earned the win for his sixth of the season.
As for Arizona's offense, the big hit came off of Jim Henderson in the eighth. Henderson walked Adam Eaton, Paul Goldschmidt (intentionally) and Jason Kubel to load the bases, and that's when Martin Prado knocked in two with a single to give the D-backs the lead and eventually the win.
Wade Miley won back-to-back starts for the first time since early April. His eight innings tied a career-high. He's also allowed three earned runs or less in eight straight starts since June 5.
Ziegler recorded his 21st career save. At Chase Field, 12 of his last 13 appearances have been scoreless, with a .075 ERA and one earned run in 12 innings pitched
The Diamondbacks didn't gain any ground on the Dodgers Thursday night despite the win because L.A. beat the Rockies 6-1. Arizona remains 1.5 games ahead in the NL West.
-Paul Goldschmidt was on base four times Thursday with three walks and a single. He now has an eight-game hitting streak.
-The D-backs have now recorded an extra-base hit in 76 straight games. That's the fifth longest streak in team history.
He Said It:
"Third or fourth inning, I don't know, I just wasn't loose. I wasn't able to really establish in, so everything, I was having to live away and Miggy saw that early and we started going changeup, a lot more off-speed pitches just trying to get guys out. Everybody knows what happened [Tuesday] night and I just wanted to go as deep as possible. Fortunately started feeling better as the game went on and got in a little better rhythm and I was able to get through eight." ---Starter Wade Miley on getting on track after the third inning.
The D-backs and Brewers play game two of this four game series Friday night. Lefty Patrick Corbin will try for his eleventh win of the season and lefty Tom Gorzelanny will go for Milwaukee. Corbin comes into the game with a 2.40 ERA and he's 6-0 with a 1.56 ERA in nine starts at home. First pitch is at 6:40 p.m. on Arizona Sports 620.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.