Updated Jul 10, 2013 - 3:54 pm
D-backs lack toughness
Yes, I'm giving free advice to the D-backs, not the Coyotes.
And no, Calvisi Consulting has not confused Kevin Towers with Don Maloney.
It's real simple: if the D-backs are going to fight the Dodgers down the stretch, they need to restore the fight.
Right now, the Dodgers are stealing the D-backs' milk money. If somebody doesn't step in, I'm about to dial 1-800-Call-Bud and report a bully.
See, here's what else is painfully obvious ever since Base-brawl: the Dodgers won that fight and stole the D-backs' swagger from this matchup.
Instead of Beat LA ...it's become Beatdown LA. And the D-backs are playing the role of Anderson Silva, flat on their collective back after too much talking/taunting and not enough striking/scoring.
Look at it this way: who's the toughest guy on the D-backs team? Alas, he just accepted an assignment to AAA Reno. Don't forget, during the melee, Eric Hinske locked horns with Yasiel Puig. Hinske put the 'back' into D-back because he had the backs of his teammates.
Who's that personal protector now? Who's that tough guy?
Honestly, the guy I'd least like to tangle with is the skipper.
Heck, until the brawl, we figured ain't nobody messin' with Gibby-ball. Uh, until Mark McGwire did just that and got right in Gibby's grill. Advantage Dodgers.
What the D-backs are currently missing against the Dodgers isn't something you can find in a box score or a sabermetrician's pocket protector. It's a willingness to compete...to the point of combat, if needed.
Against the Dodgers, it doesn't appear the D-backs still have that belief. They've been Puig'd...err, Punked.
It's time for Kevin Towers the GM to make a move to restore the roar.
Anybody got the number for Oggie Oglethorpe?
Paul Calvisi, Morning Sports Anchor - 92.3 KTAR/Arizona Sports 620
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.