Updated Jul 10, 2013 - 3:54 pm
D-backs lack toughness
Yes, I'm giving free advice to the D-backs, not the Coyotes.
And no, Calvisi Consulting has not confused Kevin Towers with Don Maloney.
It's real simple: if the D-backs are going to fight the Dodgers down the stretch, they need to restore the fight.
Right now, the Dodgers are stealing the D-backs' milk money. If somebody doesn't step in, I'm about to dial 1-800-Call-Bud and report a bully.
See, here's what else is painfully obvious ever since Base-brawl: the Dodgers won that fight and stole the D-backs' swagger from this matchup.
Instead of Beat LA ...it's become Beatdown LA. And the D-backs are playing the role of Anderson Silva, flat on their collective back after too much talking/taunting and not enough striking/scoring.
Look at it this way: who's the toughest guy on the D-backs team? Alas, he just accepted an assignment to AAA Reno. Don't forget, during the melee, Eric Hinske locked horns with Yasiel Puig. Hinske put the 'back' into D-back because he had the backs of his teammates.
Who's that personal protector now? Who's that tough guy?
Honestly, the guy I'd least like to tangle with is the skipper.
Heck, until the brawl, we figured ain't nobody messin' with Gibby-ball. Uh, until Mark McGwire did just that and got right in Gibby's grill. Advantage Dodgers.
What the D-backs are currently missing against the Dodgers isn't something you can find in a box score or a sabermetrician's pocket protector. It's a willingness to compete...to the point of combat, if needed.
Against the Dodgers, it doesn't appear the D-backs still have that belief. They've been Puig'd...err, Punked.
It's time for Kevin Towers the GM to make a move to restore the roar.
Anybody got the number for Oggie Oglethorpe?
Paul Calvisi, Morning Sports Anchor - 92.3 KTAR/Arizona Sports 620
- Reserve outfielder Tony Campana supplies spark during D-backs' sluggish start
- Hill, Diamondbacks top Dodgers in extra innings
- Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
- D-backs break winless streak, beat Dodgers in extras: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross goes hitless in season debut
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.