Updated Jul 10, 2013 - 3:54 pm
D-backs lack toughness
Yes, I'm giving free advice to the D-backs, not the Coyotes.
And no, Calvisi Consulting has not confused Kevin Towers with Don Maloney.
It's real simple: if the D-backs are going to fight the Dodgers down the stretch, they need to restore the fight.
Right now, the Dodgers are stealing the D-backs' milk money. If somebody doesn't step in, I'm about to dial 1-800-Call-Bud and report a bully.
See, here's what else is painfully obvious ever since Base-brawl: the Dodgers won that fight and stole the D-backs' swagger from this matchup.
Instead of Beat LA ...it's become Beatdown LA. And the D-backs are playing the role of Anderson Silva, flat on their collective back after too much talking/taunting and not enough striking/scoring.
Look at it this way: who's the toughest guy on the D-backs team? Alas, he just accepted an assignment to AAA Reno. Don't forget, during the melee, Eric Hinske locked horns with Yasiel Puig. Hinske put the 'back' into D-back because he had the backs of his teammates.
Who's that personal protector now? Who's that tough guy?
Honestly, the guy I'd least like to tangle with is the skipper.
Heck, until the brawl, we figured ain't nobody messin' with Gibby-ball. Uh, until Mark McGwire did just that and got right in Gibby's grill. Advantage Dodgers.
What the D-backs are currently missing against the Dodgers isn't something you can find in a box score or a sabermetrician's pocket protector. It's a willingness to compete...to the point of combat, if needed.
Against the Dodgers, it doesn't appear the D-backs still have that belief. They've been Puig'd...err, Punked.
It's time for Kevin Towers the GM to make a move to restore the roar.
Anybody got the number for Oggie Oglethorpe?
Paul Calvisi, Morning Sports Anchor - 92.3 KTAR/Arizona Sports 620
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Mark Trumbo: By the numbers
- Mark Trumbo has weaknesses, but he's a good fit with the Diamondbacks
- Mark Trumbo to Diamondbacks in 3-team trade
- Mark Trumbo looking forward to new opportunity with Arizona Diamondbacks
- In final year of Gibson, Towers' contracts, D-backs going all in
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.