Updated Jul 10, 2013 - 10:20 am
Revenge is a dish best served cold
In this heat, what's the point?
When you've won 14 of your last 17 games, what's the point?
The L.A. Dodgers are exacting their revenge in the most satisfying way by punching the D-backs where it hurts the most: the standings.
After Tuesday's 6-1 win, the Dodgers now sit 2.5 back of the D-backs for first. With 11 wins in their last 13 NL West games, they're coming. In the last couple of years the D-backs have owned L.A., but this series seems to stand as proof that the Dodgers have found their stride.
They've outhit the D-backs 27-9.
Hanley Ramirez is stealing headlines from Yasiel Puig, both of whom are raking. The four starters in their rotation are downright frightening. The payroll has plenty of room for expansion.
They're so hot right now they couldn't be bothered with retaliation against Ian Kennedy. Even after Kennedy plunked Ramirez -- a pitch that Don Mattingly acknowledged was unintentional -- there was no retribution for that or for the Zack Greinke hit back in June. When Kennedy came to bat last night, a ballpark held its collective breath only to see a harmless sac bunt.
The worry here is that this is 2008 all over again when Mannywood vaulted the Dodgers to the top and the D-backs were helpless to do anything about it.
Dave Burns, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.