Updated Jul 10, 2013 - 10:20 am
Revenge is a dish best served cold
In this heat, what's the point?
When you've won 14 of your last 17 games, what's the point?
The L.A. Dodgers are exacting their revenge in the most satisfying way by punching the D-backs where it hurts the most: the standings.
After Tuesday's 6-1 win, the Dodgers now sit 2.5 back of the D-backs for first. With 11 wins in their last 13 NL West games, they're coming. In the last couple of years the D-backs have owned L.A., but this series seems to stand as proof that the Dodgers have found their stride.
They've outhit the D-backs 27-9.
Hanley Ramirez is stealing headlines from Yasiel Puig, both of whom are raking. The four starters in their rotation are downright frightening. The payroll has plenty of room for expansion.
They're so hot right now they couldn't be bothered with retaliation against Ian Kennedy. Even after Kennedy plunked Ramirez -- a pitch that Don Mattingly acknowledged was unintentional -- there was no retribution for that or for the Zack Greinke hit back in June. When Kennedy came to bat last night, a ballpark held its collective breath only to see a harmless sac bunt.
The worry here is that this is 2008 all over again when Mannywood vaulted the Dodgers to the top and the D-backs were helpless to do anything about it.
Dave Burns, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- ESPN analyst Kurkjian: Arizona Diamondbacks 'not doing anything right'
- D-backs' Derrick Hall: Losses mounting because players are pressing
- D-backs prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest start
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.