Updated Jul 9, 2013 - 6:12 pm
Sabermetrics site projects Diamondbacks, Dodgers to finish atop NL West
In May, the site released a new feature: current and projected divisional and league standings.
Its projection for the remainder of the Arizona Diamondbacks' season may be different than what you'd expect.
Though the Diamondbacks boasted a .538 winning percentage entering play on Tuesday, FanGraphs -- through the combined use of two popular advanced forecasting sysytems (ZiPS and Steamer) -- predicts the team will play below-.500 baseball for the rest of the season, finishing with a record of 83-79.
Fantastically, the site projects an identical end-of-season record for the Los Angeles Dodgers.
The teams' predicted win totals are the lowest of all projected division winners. In fact, FanGraphs projects the Cincinnati Reds to finish third in the NL Central with 87 wins and the Washington Nationals to finish second in the NL East with 84.
The Diamondbacks' run differential projection on the site is +13, while the Dodgers are currently drawing a -2 such forecast. Their current run differentials stand at +16 and -26, respectively.
It's worth noting that the FanGraphs standings update daily.
- Agent: 'I think a guy like Archie Bradley warrants that opportunity'
- Braves vs Phillies postponed by rain
- No Drew: Steinbrenner: 'I'm pretty content'
- ESPN Insider Keith Law paints dark picture for D-backs' future
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter can't stop bleeding, D-backs extend skid to season high-tying 4 games
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 9When is it time to make changes?