Updated Jul 9, 2013 - 6:12 pm
Sabermetrics site projects Diamondbacks, Dodgers to finish atop NL West
In May, the site released a new feature: current and projected divisional and league standings.
Its projection for the remainder of the Arizona Diamondbacks' season may be different than what you'd expect.
Though the Diamondbacks boasted a .538 winning percentage entering play on Tuesday, FanGraphs -- through the combined use of two popular advanced forecasting sysytems (ZiPS and Steamer) -- predicts the team will play below-.500 baseball for the rest of the season, finishing with a record of 83-79.
Fantastically, the site projects an identical end-of-season record for the Los Angeles Dodgers.
The teams' predicted win totals are the lowest of all projected division winners. In fact, FanGraphs projects the Cincinnati Reds to finish third in the NL Central with 87 wins and the Washington Nationals to finish second in the NL East with 84.
The Diamondbacks' run differential projection on the site is +13, while the Dodgers are currently drawing a -2 such forecast. Their current run differentials stand at +16 and -26, respectively.
It's worth noting that the FanGraphs standings update daily.
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.