Updated Jul 9, 2013 - 6:12 pm
Sabermetrics site projects Diamondbacks, Dodgers to finish atop NL West
In May, the site released a new feature: current and projected divisional and league standings.
Its projection for the remainder of the Arizona Diamondbacks' season may be different than what you'd expect.
Though the Diamondbacks boasted a .538 winning percentage entering play on Tuesday, FanGraphs -- through the combined use of two popular advanced forecasting sysytems (ZiPS and Steamer) -- predicts the team will play below-.500 baseball for the rest of the season, finishing with a record of 83-79.
Fantastically, the site projects an identical end-of-season record for the Los Angeles Dodgers.
The teams' predicted win totals are the lowest of all projected division winners. In fact, FanGraphs projects the Cincinnati Reds to finish third in the NL Central with 87 wins and the Washington Nationals to finish second in the NL East with 84.
The Diamondbacks' run differential projection on the site is +13, while the Dodgers are currently drawing a -2 such forecast. Their current run differentials stand at +16 and -26, respectively.
It's worth noting that the FanGraphs standings update daily.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?