Updated Jul 9, 2013 - 6:12 pm
Sabermetrics site projects Diamondbacks, Dodgers to finish atop NL West
In May, the site released a new feature: current and projected divisional and league standings.
Its projection for the remainder of the Arizona Diamondbacks' season may be different than what you'd expect.
Though the Diamondbacks boasted a .538 winning percentage entering play on Tuesday, FanGraphs -- through the combined use of two popular advanced forecasting sysytems (ZiPS and Steamer) -- predicts the team will play below-.500 baseball for the rest of the season, finishing with a record of 83-79.
Fantastically, the site projects an identical end-of-season record for the Los Angeles Dodgers.
The teams' predicted win totals are the lowest of all projected division winners. In fact, FanGraphs projects the Cincinnati Reds to finish third in the NL Central with 87 wins and the Washington Nationals to finish second in the NL East with 84.
The Diamondbacks' run differential projection on the site is +13, while the Dodgers are currently drawing a -2 such forecast. Their current run differentials stand at +16 and -26, respectively.
It's worth noting that the FanGraphs standings update daily.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.