Updated Jul 9, 2013 - 2:43 pm
D-backs manager Gibson: No issue if Yasiel Puig is an All-Star
One of the best players in baseball since he arrived a little more than one month ago, the rookie is one of five N.L. players eligible for the game via fan vote.
"I think that the All-Star Game is picked a certain way and if he gets in that way, he deserves to be there," Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "If he doesn't, he won't, and he'll have another opportunity next year."
Entering play Tuesday the 22-year-old is hitting .409 with eight home runs and 19 RBI. Spread out over the course of an entire season, those numbers would be record-setting. As they are, though, they are part of a small sample size that has some feeling the talented youngster does not deserve a spot at the Midsummer Classic.
Gibson does not see things that way.
"I'm not offended if he goes, I've heard some people like, 'Yeah, he hasn't earned it,'" Gibson said. "What does that offend us for?
"We want to win the game; National League wants to win the game."
As has been for the last decade, the winner of the game will have homefield advantage in the World Series. Since switching to that format in 2003, the A.L. has gone 7-3 -- with the N.L. currently boasting a three-game winning streak. Perhaps coincidentally, the N.L. has won the last three World Series, too.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.