Updated Jul 6, 2013 - 9:44 pm
D-backs' Goldschmidt, Corbin named to 2013 NL All-Star team
The Arizona Diamondbacks will have two representatives at the 84th Midsummer Classic on July 16 at Citi Field in New York.
First baseman Paul Goldschmidt was selected as a reserve, earning his first All-Star selection. Goldschmidt is in the midst of a breakout season, in which he has hit .305 with 21 HRs and a league-high 73 RBIs.
Goldschmidt couldn't beat out Cincinnati Reds' first baseman Joey Votto for the start. The D-backs haven't had a position player start in an All-Star Game since Luis Gonzalez in 2001.
Left-hander Patrick Corbin will join the NL pitching staff in his first All-Star selection, after compiling a 9-1 record with a 2.49 ERA and 89 strikeouts in 115.2 IP this season.
Corbin ranks fifth in the NL in wins this season, but could have an even better record to show for his efforts. The 23-year-old has posted a 2.36 ERA in seven no-decisions for the D-backs this year. He has also pitched at least seven innings, giving up two runs or less, in six of those games.
Both Goldschmidt and Corbin were selected in the players' voting.
D-backs' outfielder Gerardo Parra, who was thought to get consideration for an All-Star spot, was not chosen or placed on the five-player MLB.com final vote ballot. Parra is batting .297 with seven homers and 26 RBI in 83 games this year.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.