Updated Jul 6, 2013 - 9:44 pm
D-backs' Goldschmidt, Corbin named to 2013 NL All-Star team
The Arizona Diamondbacks will have two representatives at the 84th Midsummer Classic on July 16 at Citi Field in New York.
First baseman Paul Goldschmidt was selected as a reserve, earning his first All-Star selection. Goldschmidt is in the midst of a breakout season, in which he has hit .305 with 21 HRs and a league-high 73 RBIs.
Goldschmidt couldn't beat out Cincinnati Reds' first baseman Joey Votto for the start. The D-backs haven't had a position player start in an All-Star Game since Luis Gonzalez in 2001.
Left-hander Patrick Corbin will join the NL pitching staff in his first All-Star selection, after compiling a 9-1 record with a 2.49 ERA and 89 strikeouts in 115.2 IP this season.
Corbin ranks fifth in the NL in wins this season, but could have an even better record to show for his efforts. The 23-year-old has posted a 2.36 ERA in seven no-decisions for the D-backs this year. He has also pitched at least seven innings, giving up two runs or less, in six of those games.
Both Goldschmidt and Corbin were selected in the players' voting.
D-backs' outfielder Gerardo Parra, who was thought to get consideration for an All-Star spot, was not chosen or placed on the five-player MLB.com final vote ballot. Parra is batting .297 with seven homers and 26 RBI in 83 games this year.
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.