D-backs' Bloomquist out 6-8 weeks with two broken bones in hand
Arizona Diamondbacks infielder Willie Bloomquist did not receive the news he was hoping for in regards to his injured left hand.
A CT scan revealed that Bloomquist will be sidelined for six to eight weeks with two broken bones in his hand.
"I had a suspicion that something was wrong in there," Bloomquist told reporters after Friday's 5-0 shutout win over the Rockies. "I wasn't expecting two broken bones, but it is what it is. It's frustrating. On a personal level, it's been that type of year."
Bloomquist also said the one break is identical to the one second baseman Aaron Hill suffered earlier this season.
The 35-year-old was hit by a pitch on the left hand on June 26. The D-backs put Bloomquist on the 15-day disabled list on Wednesday. Initial X-rays were negative but the CT scan showed the two broken bones.
He is hitting .292 with nine runs scored and eight RBIs this season.
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.