D-backs' Bloomquist out 6-8 weeks with two broken bones in hand
Arizona Diamondbacks infielder Willie Bloomquist did not receive the news he was hoping for in regards to his injured left hand.
A CT scan revealed that Bloomquist will be sidelined for six to eight weeks with two broken bones in his hand.
"I had a suspicion that something was wrong in there," Bloomquist told reporters after Friday's 5-0 shutout win over the Rockies. "I wasn't expecting two broken bones, but it is what it is. It's frustrating. On a personal level, it's been that type of year."
Bloomquist also said the one break is identical to the one second baseman Aaron Hill suffered earlier this season.
The 35-year-old was hit by a pitch on the left hand on June 26. The D-backs put Bloomquist on the 15-day disabled list on Wednesday. Initial X-rays were negative but the CT scan showed the two broken bones.
He is hitting .292 with nine runs scored and eight RBIs this season.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.