Diamondbacks honor Yarnell fire victims with uniforms, hats
On Friday night, the D-backs wore "Prescott Fire Dept." hats and symbolic No. 19 patches on their uniforms.
The hats were worn prior to the game and during the singing of the National Anthem, but not during the game, as Major League Baseball officially denied the Diamondbacks' petition to do so.
Rockies players and coaches also wore the hats during batting practice and the National Anthem.
In a moving tribute before the first pitch, a firefighters' bagpipe band played "Amazing Grace" as photos flashed on the giant video screen of the 19 "hotshot" firefighters killed fighting the Yarnell Hill wildfire northwest of Phoenix.
That was followed by a 19-second period of silence from the sellout crowd at Chase Field.
"We do it as a tribute to the families and the people who gave their lives fighting that fire," manager Kirk Gibson said Friday. "We were out on the road and it was tough for us, but when we heard (the news of the Yarnell fire), that was the worst feeling we had."
In addition to the uniform add-ons, a No. 19 will be painted on the grass behind home plate to honor the lives of the 19 fallen firefighters. The same No. 19 is also on each player's clubhouse name plate.
"Those guys are our heroes," infielder Cliff Pennington said.
Earlier Friday, the Diamondbacks pledged to give a second matching donation of $100,000 to victims of the wildfire. Their first such donation came on Thursday, when fans' contributions exceeded $100,000.
Those interested in donating to fire victims through the Diamondbacks can do so by visiting dbacks.com
Associated Press contributed to this story.
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.