Updated Jul 4, 2013 - 2:10 pm
Report: D-backs, Brewers talking potential Yovani Gallardo trade
And because everyone in the rotation not named Patrick Corbin has struggled at some point in 2013, Towers is reportedly looking to land a bigger fish.
According to CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman, the D-backs and Milwaukee Brewers have begun preliminary talks regarding right-hander Yovani Gallardo.
The former All-Star has struggled this season (6-8 with 4.78 ERA) but owns a 4-0 record with a 1.48 ERA in his career at Chase Field and has experience pitching in the postseason.
However in order to land a pitcher of Gallardo's caliber, the D-backs might have to give up one of their talented prospects -- a trend that has already taken form over the past two offseasons (Jarrod Parker and Trevor Bauer).
Heyman suggests that 21-year-old Tyler Skaggs has emerged in discussions as a possible trade candidate.
Skaggs, who is 1-1 with a 5.40 ERA in three starts with the D-backs this season, was ranked as the No. 12 MLB prospect before the 2013 season began by Baseball America.
While the teams have spoken about a potential deal, Heyman noted that nothing is imminent.
As one person familiar with the talks put it, "There's no traction at this point."
It's something to keep an eye on, though, as the D-Backs haven't had a win from their rotation for more than three weeks now, and as Foxsports.com first reported, they have particular interest in established starters who are more than rentals, meaning they are under contract through at least next year. With that in mind, Matt Garza and Ricky Nolasco might not fit Arizona as well as Gallardo, still only 27, who is contracted through next year for just over $15 million, or Lohse.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.