Updated Jul 4, 2013 - 2:10 pm
Report: D-backs, Brewers talking potential Yovani Gallardo trade
And because everyone in the rotation not named Patrick Corbin has struggled at some point in 2013, Towers is reportedly looking to land a bigger fish.
According to CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman, the D-backs and Milwaukee Brewers have begun preliminary talks regarding right-hander Yovani Gallardo.
The former All-Star has struggled this season (6-8 with 4.78 ERA) but owns a 4-0 record with a 1.48 ERA in his career at Chase Field and has experience pitching in the postseason.
However in order to land a pitcher of Gallardo's caliber, the D-backs might have to give up one of their talented prospects -- a trend that has already taken form over the past two offseasons (Jarrod Parker and Trevor Bauer).
Heyman suggests that 21-year-old Tyler Skaggs has emerged in discussions as a possible trade candidate.
Skaggs, who is 1-1 with a 5.40 ERA in three starts with the D-backs this season, was ranked as the No. 12 MLB prospect before the 2013 season began by Baseball America.
While the teams have spoken about a potential deal, Heyman noted that nothing is imminent.
As one person familiar with the talks put it, "There's no traction at this point."
It's something to keep an eye on, though, as the D-Backs haven't had a win from their rotation for more than three weeks now, and as Foxsports.com first reported, they have particular interest in established starters who are more than rentals, meaning they are under contract through at least next year. With that in mind, Matt Garza and Ricky Nolasco might not fit Arizona as well as Gallardo, still only 27, who is contracted through next year for just over $15 million, or Lohse.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.