Updated Jul 4, 2013 - 2:10 pm
Report: D-backs, Brewers talking potential Yovani Gallardo trade
And because everyone in the rotation not named Patrick Corbin has struggled at some point in 2013, Towers is reportedly looking to land a bigger fish.
According to CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman, the D-backs and Milwaukee Brewers have begun preliminary talks regarding right-hander Yovani Gallardo.
The former All-Star has struggled this season (6-8 with 4.78 ERA) but owns a 4-0 record with a 1.48 ERA in his career at Chase Field and has experience pitching in the postseason.
However in order to land a pitcher of Gallardo's caliber, the D-backs might have to give up one of their talented prospects -- a trend that has already taken form over the past two offseasons (Jarrod Parker and Trevor Bauer).
Heyman suggests that 21-year-old Tyler Skaggs has emerged in discussions as a possible trade candidate.
Skaggs, who is 1-1 with a 5.40 ERA in three starts with the D-backs this season, was ranked as the No. 12 MLB prospect before the 2013 season began by Baseball America.
While the teams have spoken about a potential deal, Heyman noted that nothing is imminent.
As one person familiar with the talks put it, "There's no traction at this point."
It's something to keep an eye on, though, as the D-Backs haven't had a win from their rotation for more than three weeks now, and as Foxsports.com first reported, they have particular interest in established starters who are more than rentals, meaning they are under contract through at least next year. With that in mind, Matt Garza and Ricky Nolasco might not fit Arizona as well as Gallardo, still only 27, who is contracted through next year for just over $15 million, or Lohse.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.