Updated Jul 4, 2013 - 2:10 pm
Report: D-backs, Brewers talking potential Yovani Gallardo trade
And because everyone in the rotation not named Patrick Corbin has struggled at some point in 2013, Towers is reportedly looking to land a bigger fish.
According to CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman, the D-backs and Milwaukee Brewers have begun preliminary talks regarding right-hander Yovani Gallardo.
The former All-Star has struggled this season (6-8 with 4.78 ERA) but owns a 4-0 record with a 1.48 ERA in his career at Chase Field and has experience pitching in the postseason.
However in order to land a pitcher of Gallardo's caliber, the D-backs might have to give up one of their talented prospects -- a trend that has already taken form over the past two offseasons (Jarrod Parker and Trevor Bauer).
Heyman suggests that 21-year-old Tyler Skaggs has emerged in discussions as a possible trade candidate.
Skaggs, who is 1-1 with a 5.40 ERA in three starts with the D-backs this season, was ranked as the No. 12 MLB prospect before the 2013 season began by Baseball America.
While the teams have spoken about a potential deal, Heyman noted that nothing is imminent.
As one person familiar with the talks put it, "There's no traction at this point."
It's something to keep an eye on, though, as the D-Backs haven't had a win from their rotation for more than three weeks now, and as Foxsports.com first reported, they have particular interest in established starters who are more than rentals, meaning they are under contract through at least next year. With that in mind, Matt Garza and Ricky Nolasco might not fit Arizona as well as Gallardo, still only 27, who is contracted through next year for just over $15 million, or Lohse.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.