Updated Jul 4, 2013 - 2:10 pm
Report: D-backs, Brewers talking potential Yovani Gallardo trade
And because everyone in the rotation not named Patrick Corbin has struggled at some point in 2013, Towers is reportedly looking to land a bigger fish.
According to CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman, the D-backs and Milwaukee Brewers have begun preliminary talks regarding right-hander Yovani Gallardo.
The former All-Star has struggled this season (6-8 with 4.78 ERA) but owns a 4-0 record with a 1.48 ERA in his career at Chase Field and has experience pitching in the postseason.
However in order to land a pitcher of Gallardo's caliber, the D-backs might have to give up one of their talented prospects -- a trend that has already taken form over the past two offseasons (Jarrod Parker and Trevor Bauer).
Heyman suggests that 21-year-old Tyler Skaggs has emerged in discussions as a possible trade candidate.
Skaggs, who is 1-1 with a 5.40 ERA in three starts with the D-backs this season, was ranked as the No. 12 MLB prospect before the 2013 season began by Baseball America.
While the teams have spoken about a potential deal, Heyman noted that nothing is imminent.
As one person familiar with the talks put it, "There's no traction at this point."
It's something to keep an eye on, though, as the D-Backs haven't had a win from their rotation for more than three weeks now, and as Foxsports.com first reported, they have particular interest in established starters who are more than rentals, meaning they are under contract through at least next year. With that in mind, Matt Garza and Ricky Nolasco might not fit Arizona as well as Gallardo, still only 27, who is contracted through next year for just over $15 million, or Lohse.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.