Updated Jul 3, 2013 - 8:07 am
Grit Index: D-backs drop fifth straight in loss to Mets
The Arizona Diamondbacks can't seem to catch a break. The D-backs lost their season-worst fifth straight game after enduring a 1 hour, 41 minute rain delay in New York.
The D-backs were down by one before the delay, but the Mets broke things wide open after the game resumed. The Mets went on to score seven runs in the seventh inning to seal a 9-1 victory over the D-backs at Citi Field Tuesday night.
Martin Prado went 3-for-4 with a home run, his seventh of the season. Prado has been on a tear at the plate of late, hitting .350 over the last seven days. He is now batting .252 in his first year with the D-backs.
Prado was the only D-backs' hitter to have faced Mets starting pitcher Jeremy Hefner (3-6) prior to Tuesday's contest -- and it showed. Besides Prado's offensive efforts, the rest of Arizona's lineup really struggled to generate anything offensively against Hefner.
Corbin (9-1) suffered his first loss of the season, after surrendering five runs (four in the ill-fated seventh inning) in six innings. He walked one and struck out four. The D-backs are now 15-2 in games that Corbin has started this season.
The D-backs' starters have now gone winless in 24 consecutive games. The last starter to record a victory for Arizona was Wade Miley on June 5 against the St. Louis Cardinals.
• With the loss, the D-backs fell to 1-7 on their current 10-game road trip.
• This is the sixth time Corbin has tried and failed to obtain his 10th win of the year.
• The D-backs (42-41) remain in first place in the NL West, despite their recent skid. Arizona holds a 1.5 game lead over Colorado. The Dodgers have also made up significant ground in recent weeks and now find themselves just 2.5 games back, along with the Padres.
The D-backs and Mets will play the third game of their four-game series at Citi Field on Wednesday, July 3 at 4:10 p.m. Right-hander Randall Delgado will get the start for the D-backs. He will be opposed by right-hander Matt Harvey (7-1, 2.00) for the Mets.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.