Updated Jul 3, 2013 - 3:10 am
D-backs Derrick Hall: We are the Arizona Diamondbacks, not the Phoenix Diamondbacks
The team will wear black jerseys with the name "Arizona" on the front during their weekend home stand against the Colorado Rockies. Normally their home dudes say "Diamondbacks."
Those jerseys will be auctioned off and the money will go toward charities including the 100 Club of Arizona, the American Red Cross and others that benefit the families of those that died in the fire.
"We are the Arizona Diamondbacks, not the Phoenix Diamondbacks," said Arizona Diamondbacks President Derrick Hall.
Hall said the team is in a very unique position with the opportunity to represent the state and to help when they are needed.
"We have a very large stage to be able to do that this time of year and to take their minds off of this tragedy with baseball," Hall said, "but more importantly to be able to contribute to them our support both financially as well as emotionally."
Hall also expressed his gratitude toward the New York Mets, who along with the Diamondbacks hung a jersey with the name "Yarnell" and the number 19 in their dugout for Monday's game.
"It was a nice show of support on the Mets side to also hang a jersey, and I thought it showed a lot of solidarity there with the home team in New York showing that they obviously have concern, care and compassion for what took place here in Arizona," Hall said.
D-backs players will also wear patches with the number 19 on the front of their jerseys, and Hall said the team is working with the MLB to let the team wear the patches for the rest of the year.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.