Updated Jul 3, 2013 - 12:34 am
Gibson: Heath Bell would have closed Tuesday; J.J. Putz's role to change
Mix in the fact that the D-backs went on to lose the game 5-4 in 13 innings and are currently mired in a four-game losing streak, and change was probably inevitable.
"We'll move Heath Bell to the back end of the bullpen right now," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620 Tuesday. "We'll try to find J.J. some innings elsewhere where he can throw and get his arm freshened up.
"He'll do a lot more long tossing and stuff and try to get it built up and see if he can't find more of the velocity he had earlier in the year."
Monday marked Putz's second appearance since coming off the disabled list. He pitched one-third of an inning in an 11-5 loss to the Atlanta Braves last Saturday before surrendering the tying run against the Mets.
"I talked to J.J. -- he came in and talked to us -- he feels what we see, there's not a lot coming out of his arm right now," Gibson said. "His velocity is way down, his fastball command isn't great, maybe he's feeling a little dead arm right now.
"So, we're going to kind of change his role right now."
According to Brooksbaseball.com, Putz threw 10 fastballs against the Mets which averaged 91.27 mph.
Gibson stopped short of anointing Bell as the regular closer moving forward.
"He's going to close (Tuesday)," he said. "Our bullpen is pretty ragged right now -- guys are throwing a lot -- so it may be by committee somewhat until we get guys freshened up."
The Diamondbacks fell to the Mets by a score of 9-1, so Bell did not get a save opportunity Tuesday night.
However, Gibson added, if everyone is healthy he could see Bell assuming the role on a more permanent basis.
"He's had some tough games but he's got the mentality, he understands the situations, he has confidence in himself, he recovers quickly if things go bad," the skipper said. "I think, overall, he's probably more the guy."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?