Updated Jul 1, 2013 - 7:52 pm
Diamondbacks, MLB honor fallen Yarnell Hill firefighters
PHOENIX - All baseball teams playing Monday observed a moment of silence to honor the 19 fallen firefighters who died near Prescott, Arizona.
The Arizona Diamondbacks sent their condolences to the families and loved ones of the 19 brave firefighters who died while fighting the Yarnell Hill Fire, which has consumed over 8,300 acres and destroyed about 200 homes so far.
The D-backs also wore black arm bands on the right sleeve of their jerseys Monday and will sport a memorial patch on their uniforms for the rest of the season.
In addition, a jersey bearing the No. 19 and the name "Yarnell" will hang in each dugout during the D-backs-Mets series.
Upon returning home to Phoenix, the Diamondbacks will wear black jerseys with "Arizona" across the front and a white patch bearing No. 19 during their upcoming series with the Colorado Rockies at Chase Field.
Diamondbacks President and CEO Derrick Hall said the team would be auctioning off game-worn jerseys from the Rockies series.
A procession for the 19 firefighters who died in the wildfire took place with the bodies of the fallen heroes being transported to Phoenix in white vans.
KTAR's Clayton Klapper contributed to this report.
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.