Updated Jul 2, 2013 - 6:47 am
D-backs analyst: Trade would help but team can win division as-is
On one hand, they are setting the pace in the NL West and are doing so without the services of many key players, some of whom have returned to the club in recent days.
On the other hand, the team went 12-15 in the month of June, hitting .256 while failing to have a starting pitcher record a win since June 5.
So with the trade deadline a month away, do the D-backs need to be looking at making a deal or two, specifically for starting pitching help?
"I would think so," D-backs television analyst Bob Brenly told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Monday. "But at the same token, I wouldn't mortgage the future to bring in a rent-a-player or anything like that."
Brenly, who as manager guided the D-backs to a World Series championship in 2001, said the team already has a good nucleus and farm system in place so there is no reason to blow things up out of any kind of desperation.
Besides, he noted, anyone who is looking to part with talent will do so from a position of strength.
"The Diamondbacks aren't the only team that's going to be looking for help at the deadline, especially pitching help, so I don't know how much wheeling and dealing (General Manager) Kevin Towers is going to be able to do."
And, ultimately, the D-backs may not need to add much to win the NL West, as according to Brenly the division will be theirs if they can play to their potential.
"I honestly believe if they take care of their own business here and play the kind of baseball they're supposed to, that's going to be good enough to win this division," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.