Updated Jul 2, 2013 - 6:47 am
D-backs analyst: Trade would help but team can win division as-is
On one hand, they are setting the pace in the NL West and are doing so without the services of many key players, some of whom have returned to the club in recent days.
On the other hand, the team went 12-15 in the month of June, hitting .256 while failing to have a starting pitcher record a win since June 5.
So with the trade deadline a month away, do the D-backs need to be looking at making a deal or two, specifically for starting pitching help?
"I would think so," D-backs television analyst Bob Brenly told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Monday. "But at the same token, I wouldn't mortgage the future to bring in a rent-a-player or anything like that."
Brenly, who as manager guided the D-backs to a World Series championship in 2001, said the team already has a good nucleus and farm system in place so there is no reason to blow things up out of any kind of desperation.
Besides, he noted, anyone who is looking to part with talent will do so from a position of strength.
"The Diamondbacks aren't the only team that's going to be looking for help at the deadline, especially pitching help, so I don't know how much wheeling and dealing (General Manager) Kevin Towers is going to be able to do."
And, ultimately, the D-backs may not need to add much to win the NL West, as according to Brenly the division will be theirs if they can play to their potential.
"I honestly believe if they take care of their own business here and play the kind of baseball they're supposed to, that's going to be good enough to win this division," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 9When is it time to make changes?