Updated Jul 2, 2013 - 6:47 am
D-backs analyst: Trade would help but team can win division as-is
On one hand, they are setting the pace in the NL West and are doing so without the services of many key players, some of whom have returned to the club in recent days.
On the other hand, the team went 12-15 in the month of June, hitting .256 while failing to have a starting pitcher record a win since June 5.
So with the trade deadline a month away, do the D-backs need to be looking at making a deal or two, specifically for starting pitching help?
"I would think so," D-backs television analyst Bob Brenly told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Monday. "But at the same token, I wouldn't mortgage the future to bring in a rent-a-player or anything like that."
Brenly, who as manager guided the D-backs to a World Series championship in 2001, said the team already has a good nucleus and farm system in place so there is no reason to blow things up out of any kind of desperation.
Besides, he noted, anyone who is looking to part with talent will do so from a position of strength.
"The Diamondbacks aren't the only team that's going to be looking for help at the deadline, especially pitching help, so I don't know how much wheeling and dealing (General Manager) Kevin Towers is going to be able to do."
And, ultimately, the D-backs may not need to add much to win the NL West, as according to Brenly the division will be theirs if they can play to their potential.
"I honestly believe if they take care of their own business here and play the kind of baseball they're supposed to, that's going to be good enough to win this division," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- D-backs' mystery man David Peralta impresses general manager Kevin Towers
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?