Updated Jul 2, 2013 - 6:47 am
D-backs analyst: Trade would help but team can win division as-is
On one hand, they are setting the pace in the NL West and are doing so without the services of many key players, some of whom have returned to the club in recent days.
On the other hand, the team went 12-15 in the month of June, hitting .256 while failing to have a starting pitcher record a win since June 5.
So with the trade deadline a month away, do the D-backs need to be looking at making a deal or two, specifically for starting pitching help?
"I would think so," D-backs television analyst Bob Brenly told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Monday. "But at the same token, I wouldn't mortgage the future to bring in a rent-a-player or anything like that."
Brenly, who as manager guided the D-backs to a World Series championship in 2001, said the team already has a good nucleus and farm system in place so there is no reason to blow things up out of any kind of desperation.
Besides, he noted, anyone who is looking to part with talent will do so from a position of strength.
"The Diamondbacks aren't the only team that's going to be looking for help at the deadline, especially pitching help, so I don't know how much wheeling and dealing (General Manager) Kevin Towers is going to be able to do."
And, ultimately, the D-backs may not need to add much to win the NL West, as according to Brenly the division will be theirs if they can play to their potential.
"I honestly believe if they take care of their own business here and play the kind of baseball they're supposed to, that's going to be good enough to win this division," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?