Updated Jul 1, 2013 - 9:53 am
Arizona Diamondbacks need more from Trevor Cahill
Cahill, who went 0-5 with a 9.85 ERA in June and hasn't won a game since May 17 against Miami, is on pace to finish 6-20. The last 20-game loser in baseball was Mike Maroth who lost 21 for Detroit in 2003. The last National League pitcher to lose 20 games was Phil Niekro who went 21-20 over 44 starts for the Braves in 1979.
Cahill isn't the only Diamondback starter struggling, but his inability to win games has Arizona searching for starting pitching via trade, something we certainly didn't envision in the offseason.
The tough part about Cahill is the Diamondbacks are still on the hook for almost $20 million over the next two seasons as part of his 5-year, $30.5 million deal.
Cahill should be better than this -- he has to be better than this, but the stats don't lie. Right now Cahill is awful and at the very least his spot in the rotation should be in question.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.