Updated Jul 1, 2013 - 9:53 am
Arizona Diamondbacks need more from Trevor Cahill
Cahill, who went 0-5 with a 9.85 ERA in June and hasn't won a game since May 17 against Miami, is on pace to finish 6-20. The last 20-game loser in baseball was Mike Maroth who lost 21 for Detroit in 2003. The last National League pitcher to lose 20 games was Phil Niekro who went 21-20 over 44 starts for the Braves in 1979.
Cahill isn't the only Diamondback starter struggling, but his inability to win games has Arizona searching for starting pitching via trade, something we certainly didn't envision in the offseason.
The tough part about Cahill is the Diamondbacks are still on the hook for almost $20 million over the next two seasons as part of his 5-year, $30.5 million deal.
Cahill should be better than this -- he has to be better than this, but the stats don't lie. Right now Cahill is awful and at the very least his spot in the rotation should be in question.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.