Updated Jul 1, 2013 - 7:01 am
D-backs right-hander Trevor Cahill not getting it done on the mound
But for D-backs right-hander Trevor Cahill, it was especially ugly.
Cahill entered the month 3-5 with 2.88 ERA and had pitched in 29 consecutive outings without giving up more than four runs.
That streak quickly came to an end when he surrendered five runs in a 7-1 loss to the St. Louis Cardinals June 3, but things would only get worse.
For the month, Cahill went 0-5 with a 9.85 ERA. He gave up five or more runs on four separate occasions -- including a season-high eight June 8 against the San Francisco Giants -- left a start early due to injury and finished with a no-decision during his one positive start (10 strikeouts in 5 2/3 innings of work) of the month on June 14 against the San Diego Padres.
"I don't know what to say," Cahill said after Sunday's game, in which he up six runs to the Atlanta Braves in 4 2/3 innings. "It's embarrassing. We're a team that's in first place, and I want to do my part to contribute. It's just not working out."
Cahill, who is second in the National League with 10 losses, has not won since May 17 and when he's started in 2013 the D-backs are 6-11.
Before June 2013, the 25-year-old had also never lost more than four games in a given month.
"I know he's frustrated, I know he's trying," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said Sunday. "He's not throwing the ball real well with the stuff that he has, but as I stated earlier that's all part of it. It's disappointing. But we have to go pick ourselves up and beat the Mets."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: Diamondbacks in serious discussions about acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick: D-backs trying to acquire elite starting pitcher this winter
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, RHP Bell in 3-team trade
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.